Chapter 9

Isshin started by removing the boy's shirt. It was strange to him that there weren't any entry points through the material. Stranger still when he had removed the blood soaked cloth to see the pods in the wounds. Karin, by his side looked away, for a few seconds as if trying to keep herself from crying. She blinked rapidly but Isshin didn't see any tears track their way down her cheeks. Inwardly he was proud of his daughter's bravery. She had done so much tonight that he was proud of her for.

But this, this was clearly the work of a hollow. Isshin's abilities had just started to come back but they were definitely clear enough that he could see the pods in the wounds. It still didn't explain why there were no entry holes in the boy's shirt but Isshin could deal with that later.

"Why don't you head to bed, you've done enough," Isshin offered. Karin raised her head with fire in her eyes.

"I can still help," Karin insisted. Isshin didn't press her. They fell into their familiar rhythm of Karin grabbing the requested implements while Isshin did his best to remove the pods. They didn't come willingly and often he had to fight them quite hard before they were free. Each time caused the boy's breathing to become unsteady, alternately quickening and pausing. Isshin did his best to work hurriedly but the surgery still took two and a half hours. When the last stitch was finally in place and Karin took over placing the bandage, Isshin was worn out. He was ready for sleep but he knew that someone would have to stay up with the boy to ensure he didn't stop breathing through the night. He ordered Karin off to bed, before preparing himself for a long and restless night.