Chapter 16

Ichigo could see that Rangiku was still upset about the fight. He smiled comfortingly at her from inside Orihime's healing power.

"It's okay," he said, causing her to look up at him. "It's not your fault." Rangiku stared at him for a few more moments before she finally gave a small smile and nodded accepting his forgiveness. Ichigo decided to return home rather than wait at Urahara's after Orihime had healed him. Part of him still wanted to go after Yoruichi to take down that hollow. Its strength had surprised him. This was definitely not a normal hollow. Yuzu had just finished dinner when he arrived. He ate with his sisters while his father continued watching the remote to see if there was any change.

"How is he?" Ichigo asked, tilting his head towards the clinic.

"His vitals dipped a few hours ago, but they've stabilized now. I'm keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't drop again." Ichigo's dad looked better after the rest he'd had but Ichigo knew that he probably wouldn't allow himself much sleep tonight. Ichigo worked on homework until late before deciding to go to bed. He knew if there had been any news they would have sent someone to tell him.

Isshin looked in on his patient. Despite how warm the room was and the blankets that had been laid over him, his skin was still cold to the touch. Isshin knew that it was reiatsu that he was feeling, not just the cold of the boy's body. He pulled the blanket aside to examine the shoulder wound. It still had not healed at all. Isshin didn't know what else to do to help the boy and he was beginning to worry that he would slowly waste away before Isshin could find a way to help him. Maybe he should bring it up with Urahara. There was still time though, he would wait a while longer and see what happened.

When Ichigo checked with his friends the next day they all told him that they hadn't heard anything either. After school they stopped by Urahara Shoten where they learned that Yoruichi and Soi Fon had followed the hollow to its lair. There had been no sign of Captain Hitsugaya even though they had taken the time to search the nearby area. Yoruichi had returned to report and left Soi Fon to track the hollow.

"What will we do now?" Ichigo asked the shopkeeper. Urahara sighed and shrugged.

"I'm out of ideas. I guess we'll just have to try and think of something else."

"Couldn't we just kill the hollow?" Chad suggested.

"We could," Urahara agreed. "But if Captain Hitsugaya is as wounded as Renji or worse he may not be able to make it to help in time." Silence followed this statement as they considered the implications. "It would be risky but we may eventually have to do that."

"I'm sure we'll think of something," Uryu said almost dispassionately. Although other strategies were discussed or mulled over no solutions were presented. For now Soi Fon and Yoruichi would continue to tail the hollow to see if it would reveal Captain Hitsugaya's location. Eventually they adjourned agreeing to meet again tomorrow to see if any new ideas had occurred to them. Ichigo walked home by himself his mind trying to come up with a plan that would work. Part of him knew that Yoruichi and Soi Fon might be successful and his work would have been for nothing.

"Heads up," someone called from behind him. Ichigo spun to the side just in time to avoid the tentacle. Soi Fon had helped by jumping at the hollow's head causing it to stagger backwards. Ichigo reached into his pocket to pull out Kon's pill and pop it in his mouth freeing him from his body.

"Kon, get out of here!" he called. Kon didn't bother with a salute he just ran.

"The least you could have done is gotten to a safer spot before putting me in your body!" He complained. Ichigo didn't bother with answering. He held Zangetsu out in front of him gathering his spiritual pressure.

"Bankai!" he yelled his spiritual pressure rising. "Tensa Zangetsu." The hollow unleashed one of its unnatural cries, trying to spear him with another tentacle. "You're too slow!" Ichigo called using his increased speed in Bankai to sever the tentacle at its base. He got two more off before it unleashed a burst of spiritual pressure knocking both him and Soi Fon back in a wave of icy air. Frost covered the surrounding buildings and a few flakes of snow drifted to the ground. Ichigo solidified a platform of reishi under his feet to halt his momentum before raising Zangetsu over his head.