Busting Up Writers Block Hiyah!

 This chapter was requested by a dear sweet backed up reader so I decided to blow the dust off this guide and get to writing!

Writer’s Block is something every writer fears, and at one point has experienced (and if you haven’t you must be a mystical writing god because I experience it all the time!). It can be literally weeks of sitting around trying to figure out what has gone so terribly wrong and how can you fix it.

While there are no hard and fast rules for ditching WB I have made another one of my world famous lists for you to try out.

1.        Review Your Notes. If you paid any attention to She’s A Maniac, Maniac At Updating then you will probably have some. Maybe even an outline. Sometimes just reading over your original brain storm with spark up the flame you once had (or if you’re anything like me, it may lead you to changing some plot points and taking your story in a whole new direction [because we all know you’re stories can’t go One Direction]).

2.        Spit Ball. And no kids, I am not taking about the kind you used to spit at your teacher when she wasn’t looking and that one time it went up her nose, I am talking about calling up one of your good writing amigos and tell them what the problem is. I can’t tell you how many times I have messaged my friend Emily and bounced spit balls at her.

3.        Take A Hike. I don’t mean to literally take a hike, I mean to take a step back from your computer/pen and paper and enjoy the little things. Watch Netflix powered marathon of Supernatural, read a couple chapters of the latest John Green book, listen to Bruno Mars new album, sketch a picture of the lost city of Atlantis. Getting your mind off writing will definitely take the pressure off trying to update.

4.        Scrap Sheet Showdown. Now listen very carefully these instructions are vital you have to write exactly 750 words, no more no less. Nah, I’m just adding up the hype, but really try to write at least 750 words, that is roughly 3 pages on Word and it will usually loosen the dam of ideas just waiting to break free. What you write about it totally unimportant. You could write about your crushes’ new chest hair if that’s turns you on, just as long as you do it.  

5.        Browse. Notice all those stories that have been piling up in your Read Later list? Take the time you spend staring at a blank screen and read as many of those as you can. You would be surprised at what reading other’s work will do for you. It is where 9 times out of 20 I get a new idea for more stories. And I don’t mean plagiarize either (yes, copying fanfiction still counts as plagiarizing. I know I’m shocked too.), I am talking about ideas that have mostly nothing to do with the story you are reading.

Well cool cats it’s been real, but its 2 am and I have to be up at 7 am for someone’s graduation so if you have any questions, suggestions, or just flat out comments drop a line below and I will get back to you when I can.

(Ps. I hope I helped you, you know who you are.)