Prologue Part 1

5 years ago

"I'm at school..."

"Yeah, I'm waiting for mother..."

"Okay. Got it..."

"Thank you. See you later brother..."

I put off my phone and settled it down on the desk. My brother phoned me to go home and yeah I will but I'm still waiting for her, my mother. She texted me awhile ago that she'll be here by 5 but now it's quarter to 6 and she's nowhere to be found. I tap my fingers on the desk and put into mind that she'll be here any minute.

"Becca, you're still here?" a playful soft voice appeared. I look at the door and Adam was there arms crossed over his chest and leaning on the door frame. He was just his old self. His bright beautiful hazel-brown eyes brimming with happiness when talking to people.

"No, she's not here. It's just her portrait." I jokingly said to him and awkwardly pose like I was sitting straight on the chair and smiles like an idiot. He stifles a laugh and walks towards my seat.

"How long you've been there?" I asked. Hope he didn't just eves drop my conversation with my brother. I know he always has to say.

"Just arrive." Oh, it's a relief. "I heard whispers from afar so I check if anyone is in here. And that's how I found you." He leans and pinches my nose tight enough to stop few seconds of my breathing.

"Ouch." I shout. "Don't do that. It annoys me." he even laughs harder at my face. I know I was turning red already. He always does that.

He squints his eyes and stops laughing. "So, you're still here huh?" Now, here we go.

"You're still here too." I pointed out, but I know why.

"Sure." He sits up on the teacher's table right in front of me. He's wearing a red sweater and khaki-colored pants. His sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. He's one of the coolest kids here at school.

"So, what made you wait this time?" he asked. He swings his feet back and forth slow enough not to touch my knees. He steadies his hands beside him.

I stare at him for seconds uncovering some answers from my brain. I know how this sounds but he's like an older brother to me when he interrogates me.

"My Mum was just late. She's coming to pick me up." I honestly answered. I look unto his eyes, his asset may be as charming as pearls but this could bring clouds to storm sometimes. I know he already knows that I'm worried but I'm just putting my hope to my Mum. I can tell.

His feet stops moving. I bit my lower lip. I don't want to jump into conclusions of broken words and trust.

"You know what? Why wait for her? You know you can always ditch with us. I'm telling mum." He's arrogant sometimes. And these scenarios always happened. Oh, not again.

I didn't answer him.

He jumps off the table and walks past me. I followed him right away and gently tags his arm to stop him. He's nearing the door. He looks unto to my eyes then to his arm and back to me.

"No, no, no, please. Just let me wait for her. I know she's coming." I plead to him. He sighs and I hand down his arm. He knows many things about me because I told him so. It's just the feeling that came along with it that it says I could trust him.

He's disappointed now. "You know the school grounds closes at 6 and you can't stay here... alone." He pointed out and he's right. But I'm still holding on to my Mum's words.