Arbor

I push him off of me as fast as I can.

"Shit, Arbor!" He exclaims as I climb out from underneath of him. "I'm so sorry! I don't know why I said that!"

I pick up my clothes shamefully. I'm starting to sober up now. "Why did you call me, Gabby?" I ask in a demanding voice.

He stands up and puts on his boxers. "Gabby is my ex fiancé." He tells me as he runs a hand through his hair.

I throw my shirt on and walk away from the couch. "This is so awkward." I state simply then laugh. "I've never had a guy call me someone else before." I put my hands on my hips and start pacing. "I honestly don't know where to go from here, Matt." I run a hand through my hair. "Obviously, you're not in a good place so I don't want to leave you high and dry." I mumble.

"What?" He asks with a surprised look on his face. "You don't want to leave?"

I shake my head. "No." I stop pacing and look at him. "You're obviously in pain of some kind. Let me guess, you two broke up and you've spent every night alone or at the bar the guys. You haven't really talked to anyone about it?"

He shakes his head. "I haven't said a word to anyone." He confirms.

I take in a deep breath and decide to be the bigger person. I don't know why I'm doing this, but I can't just leave him broken. I know that I'm a good person and I should stay to talk with him.

"Talk to me." I tell him in a gently tone as I walk toward him. "Sit down with me and let's talk about it."

"What?" He looks down at me as we stand, staring at each other.

"You called me someone else while you were inside of me." I stifle a laugh and smile at him. "I'm not mad or upset about it, but the least you owe me is to talk about it."

He sits down in defeat. "You don't have to listen to my problems."

"Damnit, Matt!" I raise my voice. "I am a good person and this is what a good person does. I'm going to sit here and talk to you about Gabby!" I sit down next to him and put my hand gently on his forearm. "Now I'm someone you barely know, so this should be easy! I don't know any previous messy details, just talk and get it out. I've been where you are and it sucks. Now come on!" I look at him. "Talk."

He raises his eyebrows. "You really want to know?"

I nod immediently.

He sighs then starts to tell me about Gabby. How she was his canidate and how they let the job get in the way of their relationship. How they promised to take a break and try again later. How that' not what he really wanted, but he wanted her to be happy.

We end up talking for the rest of the night. I tell him about Dan and everything that happened. How I got pregnant at twenty and when I told him, he pushed me down a flight of stairs. How he was my fiancé at one point but he left me even after I took him back after he almost killed me. How he beat me but I was afraid to leave him and how he left me for my best friend. I poured my heart out to Matt and I was honestly one of the best feelings in the world.

I ended up passing out on the couch and woke up when my alarm went off at 6 am.

"Ugh. What time is it?" Matt asks from the opposite end of the couch as he rubs his eyes, trying to wake up.

I yawn. "It's six. I have to go home and get ready for work." I inform him.

"You can just shower here if you want to?" Matt offers, standing up as well.

I shake my head and stand up. "I really need to not overstay my welcome and just go home and get ready for work. But thank you for a great night, even though it didn't turn out as planned." I say shyly.