SIX: MISTY MORNINGS

CHAPTER SIX: MISTY MORNINGS

            Mason leaned over the stove, brushing some stray black hair out of his eyes before stabbing at the eggs with a spatula, trying to scramble them to the best of his ability.  He glanced out of the window that overlooked the oven, seeing that the rain that had started the night prior was gone, yet a light mist had came to take its place.  He grumbled to himself, knowing that it had probably ruined his painting, and his cans of paint that were still sitting outside.  He planned on picking them up after he got out of helping Curly for the night.  They had made a deal that Mason owed him two weeks of mopping floors and cleaning cages, which he was perfectly okay with.  It wasn’t like he really did anything with his life.

            A car rolled up into the driveway, the light from its headlights dull and ominous through the haze.  Mom’s home.

            Mason quickly threw down the spatula and ran over to the refrigerator, opened it up and retrieved a gallon of orange juice before slamming it closed once again.  He then got a glass from the clean side of the sink and a plate as well.  He threw these on the table and started to set up his mother’s breakfast.

            She came in with a sigh and kicked the door shut behind her.  She tossed her work bag down to the side of the entry way before removing her jacket and scarf.

            “With this winter I don’t think we’re ever going to get any snow, just all this stinking rain,” she exclaimed, yet her voice was tired and strained.  She let out a raspy cough of a laugh.  “At least it keeps me from washing the cars in forty degree weather.” She turned to her son and gave him a small smile before opening her arms.  He walked over to the woman and embraced her, she barely rose to his collar bone.

            “I’m sorry, I had to stay at work.  Lonnie left with strep.”  Mason just nodded before taking a step back, gesturing to the table.

            “I made you breakfast.”

            “As always,” she commented before plopping herself down in one of the kitchen chairs.  “These twelves take a lot out of me, I think that’s what it is.” She gave another cough before reaching down for the fork that wasn’t there.  “Mason…” she drawled and he was quick to respond, salvaging a fork from the drawer by the sink.

            “Here,” he handed it over and she gave him a smile of thanks before starting on her breakfast.  Mason crossed his arms over his chest and leaned up against the counter.

            “I have twelves until Christmas, sucks doesn’t it?” She shoved a forkful of eggs into her mouth.  “But, at least it pays the rent.  To think I went to med school for this.”

            “It was a community college…”

            “I’m a nurse all the same, ain’t I?  Speaking of school, don’t you have that today?” Mason stiffened.  He was hoping she wouldn’t bring it up.  It wasn’t like grades or bullies kept him at home, but he would much rather do something that he enjoyed overs suffering through another dreary day of school.  He would much rather be standing here talking to his mom.  He never saw her anymore with her work schedule, he saw his father even less.

            “Can’t you just say I’m sick?”

            “No,” she began on her bacon before giving another raspy laugh.

            “I tell people not to eat this all the time,” she took a bite off of the end, “I’m such a hypocrite.”  She closed her eyes in bliss.  “So worth it.”