SEVENTEEN: MISCONCEPTIONS

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: MISCONCEPTIONS

            After a quick goodbye to Jodi, stating that we were leaving to go pick up his stuff at Curly’s, Mason had taken me out to the wall again.  He was in the red sweatshirt now for he was only human and I was perfectly fine without wearing long sleeves.  The cold of winter was finally starting to set in, and the leafless trees finally fit the weather.  We were stopping at Curly’s because his father didn’t want him working there anymore, and Mason had told me that his two weeks were up anyways, not like I knew what that meant.  He had decided to stop by the wall first and get a coat of paint on in the hopes of blowing off some steam.

            I was leaned up against the opposite wall of the ally, a cup of pop in my hand as I sucked it out through the straw.  Soda pops were interesting beverages, extremely sweet, but bubbly.  Jodi had explained that they were ‘carbonated’ and that if they sat too long the bubbles would go away, so far I hadn’t had that problem.

            Mason had taken me out to lunch at the same place that we had eaten out last time.  He said that he didn’t want to be home when his dad got back.  I agreed with him and happily followed, enjoying the fresh air and being free of the stale human home air.  The only downside was the fact that I wasn’t really in the mood to do much today.  I know I hadn’t done much in general because of my foot, but given the fact that it no longer hurt, I still just really didn’t want to do anything but be lazy, which led me to my current position.

            Mason was painting the wall, arching with his strokes as he added depth and color to the blue matte water that we had painted on a few days prior.  I tore my eyes away, knowing that I shouldn’t be looking.  Ever since Jodi brought up Kelly I had been feeling rather ashamed.  Kelly was Mason’s mate, I assumed.  I didn’t want to get in the way of that, even if it appeared that they were fighting.  To get between a man and his mate was a terrible thing to do, and I wouldn’t want to be any more of a burden than I already was.  I wondered if Mason didn’t trust me enough to introduce me to his mate, maybe he thought I would hurt her, that I lacked even more control than I seemed to show.  That was rude.

            It wasn’t like I didn’t try, and that one night he had caught me at a bad time, I had just had a nightmare for crying out loud, yet still he probably didn’t trust me.  He was a good human, and I didn’t blame him for it.  At this stage I wouldn’t trust me around my own mate, that is, if I had one.

            “Hey,” Mason called, waving a hand in front of my face.  “Earth to Suka.  Something wrong?” He asked as he sat down beside me, pulling off his hood and shaking out his black hair.

            “Wrong?  Why do you ask?” I replied innocently, chewing on my straw.  Mason shrugged and reached over, taking a slurp before handing my pop back to me.  His face contorted.

            “What kind of pop do you have in there?” He asked, slightly disgusted.

            “All of them.” I told him truthfully.  “I felt that if this was the last time I had pop, I might as well try them all.” I stole another sip.  “It made sense to me…”

            “Suka…” Mason whined, leaning his head up against the wall.  “You don’t have to leave now, besides, at least wait long enough that we can take the stitches out, I have no clue how you’d do that out in the woods, but anyways, it probably wouldn’t be sanitary.” I chewed my lip.  Of course I knew that I probably should stay longer, that I should stay longer, but at the same time I wasn’t sure if it was the safest route, for Mason’s sake that was.  What if the pack found me somehow before I got a chance to say goodbye?  What if they struck out at Mason?  What about his mate if that happened?  I’m a terrible person.