FOURTH SEQUENCE

"Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Zaccaheus had spent most of the day blissfully with Iris; the two of them lounging around together; chatting, laughing. The simple things they had always enjoyed. It was when they were happy like this he no longer cared about his job, and no longer felt as if he needed it. Which is why he was dissapointed when he finally recieved a call from Rhea. He pulled his handset out of his pocket midway through a conversation with Iris as she watched him with apprehension.

The voice of a woman spoke to him, "Officer Gower, I have a a Julia Backman, reporting a domestic disturbance. She refuses to tell me whats wrong, and specifically requests that I have you go and see her. I believe I'm correct when I say that your wife and her also happen to be friends."

Zaccaheus knew the woman, and Rhea was correct, she was a friend of Iris's. One of her few remaining ones.

Iris whispered to him, "Whats wrong? You don't have to go now do you?"

He waved a hand at her lightly, singalling for her to wait, before he spoke to Rhea, "Did she tell you how serious it was? Did she not give you any details on the problem?"

Rhea replied, "No she has told me nothing. I tried, but it most definitely seems as if she is in some sought of stress, the tone of her voice indicated some mild hysteria."

"Alright I'll check it out, I'll get back to you once it's been dealt with."

He hung up.

"Zaccaheus, what was it?"

"Its Julia. Rhea says she's reported a problem, but is insisting on my assistance only. Doesn't want help from Rhea or any of the 'bots."

Iris let out a heavy sigh, clearly disappointed, "Right. Well, I guess you have to go right?"

"Iris, believe me; I'm really am so sorry about this. But she says it has to be me."

"Maybe I can come? She is my friend after all."

"I dunno... For all we know it could be pretty bad..."

"No, I'll come. I haven't seen her for a week or two now."

She beamed at him while she hopped up out of her chair and began walking towards their bedroom to get dressed, "Knowing her its probably nothing. It'll be good to go out together anyway. Take me some place nice after, somewhere quiet with a nice view."

Zaccaheus grinned to himself, "I know just the place."

***

 He knocked on the apartment door and Iris called out, "Julia, Julia its me Iris! Zac's here as well, apparently you needed to see him..."

The apartment door slid open infront of them; there was no one on the other side to greet them. They entered together, looking around the empty room. A window on the far wall was open; white curtains fluttering lightly in a gentle breeze. Zaccaheus could make out the silhoutte of a small bird perched on the window sill...

Zaccaheus called out, "Julia, Julia where are you? Is everything alright?"

Someones voice shouted out to them from another room, "Zac? Iris? I'm in here!"

They entered a dimly lit room that was the source of the voice and found Julia, sitting at the edge of a bed watching a young man who appeared to sleeping, slumped over in a chair with a cable plugged into the back of his neck, hooked up to a large computer in the corner of the room. Zaccaheus recognised him as her son. Julia stood up, it was clear she'd been crying.