SEVENTH SEQUENCE

"Losing faith in your own singularity is the start of wisdom, I suppose; also the first announcement of death."  -Peter Conrad

Zaccaheus opened his eyes as he felt the cable unplug itself from the back of his neck and the pod began to open. Standing over him was Cavil, looking down.

"Did you do it Zac? Did you get him out?"

Zaccaheus sat up straight, rubbing his eyes. He'd done it. He had hoped to avoid bringing him back by force, but he'd done it. He had to.

"Yes. I did it. I brought him back."

Cavil looked slightly taken aback, "I'll be honest. I didn't think you'd be able to do it."

"Well I did."

"How did you do it?"

"Pulled him over the edge of the building with me."

Cavil looked even more surprised, "So you weren't able to talk him into it then… Zaccaheus, that must've been hard."

"I had to do it. It was the right thing to do, I'd made a promise. He can't just abandon Julia like that. I know the kind of pain she would suffer. She deserves, to at least have the opportunity to speak to him about it, he owes her that much."

Zaccaheus climbed out his pod and began heading toward the exit, Cavil following behind him.

"Well just remember Zac, its not like you actually killed him in there. What you did; it was harmless. He'll understand that. He can go back in there anytime he wants."

Zaccaheus nodded; Cavil was right. Daniel could return to the AR whenever he wanted. He had lost nothing by being brought back, and was selfish for attempting to abandon his mother in the first place. Zaccaheus began to feel more reassured about his actions.

They entered the elevator which began to descend. Gazing solemnly out the window, Zaccaheus could see it was night time; the streets were barren. With most of the city's lights off,  the glow of a full, pale moon hanging overhead was prominent, casting long shadows in its light. The calming atmosphere of this lonely city was in stark contrast to the excess of the world he'd been in only moments before.

His phone began to beep; Iris was calling him. He answered it, "Iris? Iris is he awake?"

"Zac… Zac please get here quick, you have to get here now. I... I'm sacred. Daniels awake, but he's hysterical, he's furious… Julia, she's scared as well, she's crying… They're fighting. Zac please get here quick, please."

Her voice was clearly one of terror; she was almost begging. Zaccaheus felt tight in his chest.

"Iris, listen to me, if he gets worse you get out of that apartment immediately and bring Julia with you. Me and Cavil are coming right now. We'll be there soon, I promise you. You just have to hold on. Don't say anything to him if he's looking dangerous, and promise me you will get out of there if he does."

Cavil was listening to the conversation intently, his face one of concern.

Zaccaheus spoke again, "Iris?"

"Yes… Ok, please just… Hurry," her voice became fainter as she addressed someone in the background, "Julia, please, stop it, you're going to make it worse…"

The call ended.

He commanded the elevator, "Faster."

It shot down towards the ground floor.  Together they dashed out of the elevator, hurrying out of the building and onto the empty street.

Zaccaheus spoke with urgency, "Car, now," as he looked impatiently left and right down down the road.

Cavil grabbed Zaccaheus by the shoulder, "Zaccaheus, what did she say?"