Forever Dead ::4:: Midnight Rendezvous

“What you have seen is the least I will do to you if anyone tries to run away…you should be thankful I picked you worthless beings.” He said to the group. I gently stood and hopped back into place next to Macy, who had her eyes glued to the ground. Maybe she was having second thoughts.

I wiped my face and tried to stand as straight as I could. The pain would eventually go away, but the memories would always be in my mind. I would have to hold onto them if I wanted to survive. Because dying wasn’t the worse that could happen, the worse was falling in love. And that was not on my agenda.

“These are your last moments in Vivens. Once we step through the portal you will be in Mortuus.” He glanced up and down the line. I did not meet his eyes, but I felt them. My skin prickled and my stomach churned. This was it. Once I step through that portal I will have lost any chance of ever escaping. No human knows what Mortuus looks like. But it’s common knowledge vampires cannot step in the sun, so it must be dark.

I looked beyond the horizon to the slivers are light, savoring my last sunrise. I would miss the sun…I wonder how exactly we were getting to Mortuus. No one knew the way. No one knew if there was one entrance, two, and three? Did we have to fly, or drive or swim there?

Nicholai stepped away from us, and I swear I heard all ten of us exhale the breaths we were holding. I glanced down to #1, Amanda, and saw her doing the same. She mouthed ‘Thank you.’ And I nodded my head. Macy looked up at me. Her eyes were moist and I knew what she was thinking. What the hell did I get myself into?

“Number 1, this way…” the driver, Ash, said. She walked towards him, Nicholai standing off to the side next to a large boulder. He leant against the hard stone and glanced down the line once more.

“Step through the rock.” He said. I cocked my head to the side, nervous but curious. Through the rock? I saw Amanda nervously step towards the rock. He placed her hand on it, and fell the smooth hard surface, then stepped back.

“I can’t…it’s solid.” She said.

“I said step through it, not touch it. You must all learn to do as I say. Whether it’s to jump off a bridge, or walk through a rock. I am not your Master and you will obey me.” Nicholai grabbed her by the back of her neck and shoved her. I winced, expecting to hear the sound of flesh smacking against the stone, but instead I gasped. Amanda was gone. She went through the rock.

“Next.” Was all I heard. One by one the girls stepped through. Some ran, some just walked in. It was weird, because at the exact moment they stepped through, I don’t remember what I saw. I couldn’t remember seeing any of them go through the rock, but I knew they did.

With one last glance back to me, Macy ran full force through the rock. I was last. Ash had stepped through after Amanda. Nicholai and I were alone.

“Number 10…” he whispered. I stepped forward, limping from the pain in my back. I took one last look to the sun and sighed.

“What is it?” he asked. I was surprised he cared,

“I will miss the sun.” I whispered. He chuckled and responded.

“Well, that’s not so bad. Most people say they will miss their families…or television.” He smirked at my face. I didn’t even think of my mother…my brother. A new set of tears made their way out of my eyes as I felt the stone beneath my hand, testing it.

“You still could let me go.” I pleaded.

“It’s too late Audrina. You’re just too fascinating to lose.” His eyes were glassed over for a second and then he came too.

“Hurry up, I don’t have all day.” He cleared his throat and I walked through the stone, my eyes closed the entire time.

I felt two hands steady me as I stepped onto the ground. All I felt was a rush of air and suddenly it stopped, leaving me wherever I was.