Detective Fiction Genre Study

"The Speckled Band" and "Intuition are good detective stories. Discuss.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Speckled Band and Tara Moss' Intuition are both good detective stories as they use archetypal conventions of the detective fiction genre. Both stories use characters, themes, setting, techniques and structure typical of the genre. However, Moss' Intuition also subverts elements of the genre in order to appeal to a modern audience and accurately reflect the time it was composed. A good detective story must engage the reader, as both of these texts do.

Doyle's The Speckled Band and Moss' Intuition are great detective stories as they contain characters archetypal to the detective fiction genre. Typical characters in the genre are the clever detective figure (Sherlock Holmes) who solves the case, the villain (Dr. Grimesby Roylott) who is caught by the detective and the victim, often a damsel in distress, who is saved by the detective. In The Speckled Band the detective figure is Sherlock Holmes, the famous private investigator. Doyle presents Holmes as very intelligent; Holmes is able to develop theories based on clues using the process of ratiocination. This is shown at the beginning of the story when Holmes is able to state how Miss Stoner, the victim and his client, travelled to Holmes' house in London based on the mud splatter pattern on her clothes. Holmes also is recommended to Miss Stoner from a friend, also showing his skills in detection.

Intuition by Tara Moss also has characters typical of the detective fiction genre. Like in The Speckled Band, in this story there is a detective figure, a villain and a damsel in distress. This story differs from Doyle's though, as Moss subverts the genre by having the damsel in distress turn out to be the detective figure. Moss' detective is a female police constable, Karen Mahoney, who outsmarts the villain and arrests him. Originally we are made to think Karen is in danger, walking down a dark alley being followed by a man. However, she is able to twist the situation by using her intelligence and knowledge of the rapist at large. The villain is arrested and the reader is able to appreciate the incorporation of a strong female character, as more fitting for a modern society. Both of these stories are good examples of the detective fiction genre as the composers have used archetypal characters, which are representative of their societies.

The themes in the two stories, The Speckled Band by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Intuition by Tara Moss are also archetypal for the detective fiction genre, thus making these texts great detective stories. The main theme in these texts is justice. This is an important theme to explore, as it reinforces to society that those who commit a crime will be punished and that innocent people should feel safe. Doyle's The Speckled Band presents this theme as death being a suitable punishment for a murderer. In the story the villain, Dr. Grimesby, is slain by the snake he killed Julia Stoner with and tried to kill Helen Stoner with. This is Victorian justice.

Moss' story Intuition similarly deals with the punishment of a criminal. In this case, the criminal is "Roger" a serial rapist. He is apprehended by Constable Mahoney and taken to the police station under arrest. This example of justice is more fitting for a modern audience; the criminal is arrested and put in gaol. It is the inclusion of the theme of justice, typical of the detective fiction genre, which makes these two stories good examples of the genre.

The short stories, Doyle's The Speckled Band and Moss' Intuition employ settings typical of the detective fiction genre. Traditionally, detective stories use realistic settings to make the stories more believable, so that the reader thinks they could happen anytime, anywhere. Also, many of the crimes and climaxes occur at night, helping to create suspense and fear in the reader. The Speckled Band uses the realistic setting of Holmes' London apartment and Grimesby's ancestral home in the country. It also describes the means of travel, train and coach, which were typical of the Victorian era. A night time setting is also used in the story, when Julia is murdered and in the climax of the story to heighten the suspense and danger involved.

Intuition also utilises a realistic night time setting. This time the action takes place in a dark deserted alley. This again creates a sense of danger and suspense for the reader. It also encourages us not to put ourselves in dangerous situations like Mahoney does. The rest of the story takes place in a police station, reinforcing that the story fits into the detective genre. The use of these typical settings in each story makes them excellent examples of the detective fiction genre.

The Speckled Band by Doyle and Intuition by Moss both use techniques which are archetypal of the detective fiction genre. Two language techniques typical of the genre are descriptive language and jargon, as well as the creation of a suspenseful atmosphere. In Doyle's story, language terms specific to investigating crimes are used, like "crime scene" and "suspect", helping to orient the reader to the genre. Descriptive language is also used by Doyle to help create an image of the crime scene and its clues to help the reader solve the mystery. There are also detailed and emotive descriptions of the suspect and victim in order to influence the way we view these characters; we see the villain as evil and dangerous, while the victim is presented as innocent. Suspense is also created throughout the story, with a mystery to be solved and danger created. The reader wants to know how the puzzle will be solved and if the characters will be alright, thus engaging them in the story.

Moss' story, Intuition, also uses jargon, descriptive language and suspense to engage the audience. Terms associated with police and detection are used, "case", "handcuffs" and "station" to relay to the reader the genre. Also, the smoking man, presented as a suspect, is described in detail to suggest he is dangerous. Descriptive language is also used to create a mental image of the dark, deserted alley and the protagonist's feelings. This also helps to add suspense to the story, encouraging the reader to fear for Mahoney's safety. This empathy helps engage the reader further in the story. The use of techniques typical of the detective fiction genre serve to involve the reader in Doyle's and Moss' short stories.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Speckled Band and Tara Moss' story Intuition are both great detective stories. Each story has archetypal characters, a detective, villain and victim; however Moss subverts these conventions by having her detective and victim the same character. The theme of justice, represented in both stories, is also a typical feature of the genre, as are the realistic and night-time settings.