Tim Winton's Short Stories

Tim Winton draws inspiration for his stories from his background and his experiences in order to create realistic characters in his short stories. It is this inspiration which enables Winton's stories to effectively connect with his audience.

Winton's background and life inspires many elements in his short stories. The setting used by Winton in Family and Sand is influenced by his own upbringing in the small town of Albany on the Western Australia coast. Winton's characters are reflective of his upbringing in a family of weaker male role models and he draws upon his own personal experiences in creating his characters. Winton's personality can also be seen in his writing style which shows his laid back, Australian character. Family and Sand have both been heavily influenced by Winton's background.

The storyline and style of Winton's stories Family and Sand reflects the author's own life experiences and personality. Family follows Leaper, a former football player who is going through a hard time. The two characters in Sand are the same brothers as in Family, and Winton shows that these characters have a very similar relationship as children. Through these two stories, Winton shows the impact of the character's childhood on their development into adults. The colloquial language and lack of punctuation marking direct speech used in both of these stories reflect Winton's casual Australian personality, as well as his upbringing in a family of storytellers.

Winton also draws inspiration from his background and family in his creation of characters in the stories Family and Sand. In Sand, Winton constructs his protagonist, Frank, as an innocent child who is constantly being berated by his older brother, Max. In Family, Leaper (Frank) is constructed by Winton to be a confused man with little confidence in himself. This characterisation has been influenced by Winton's own family situation, which means he often uses troubled males in his stories. In each of the stories, Winton has constructed characters which have clearly been inspired by people in his own life.

Winton draws inspiration for his stories from his background in order to create realistic characters and convincing storylines in his short stories. His own experiences encourage Winton to write brilliant short stories.