Boaz Yakin's "Remember The Titans"

In his film Remember The Titans, director Boaz Yakin uses deliberate film techniques to convey the difficulties involved in overcoming adversity, the impact of changing one's perspectives and the significance of belonging for an individual, which creates empathy for the characters and increases the audience's understanding of these issues in our society. This is clearly shown in the football practise and locker scenes.

The film Remember The Titans, directed by Boaz Yakin, conveys the difficulties involved in overcoming adversity through a variety of film techniques, creating empathy in the audience for the characters. Throughout the film, the main adversity faced by the football team is racial prejudice from members of the team, as well as society. In the practise scene, the change in perspective by the protagonists Gerry Bertier and Julius Campbell is successfully conveyed by Yakin. Gerry tries to acknowledge Julius by joking around. Julius hesitates but joins in with "left side, strong side", demonstrating a significant moment in overcoming racism. Yakin creates a feeling of celebration of the team overcoming their personal grievances to unite as a team with the inspirational music that builds. In his film, Yakin adeptly conveys the difficult journey of overcoming adversity through an amalgamation of film techniques, creating emotive feelings in the audience for the situations faced by the characters in the film.

Yakin also conveys the impact of changing one's perspective in his film Remember The Titans, increasing the audience's understanding of these consequences. Initially in the film, Yakin presents the majority of the characters as prejudiced. Slowly this bias is overcome as significant characters change their perspective regarding their teammates of different colour. In the scene on the football field, the change in perspective in one of the protagonists, Gerry, is successfully conveyed by Yakin. The camera focuses on Coach Herman Boone's face as he recognises that the fight between Gerry and Ray Budds is a turning point for changing perspectives. In showing this change, Yakin demonstrates to the audience that altering one's perspective can improve team performance and help to understand other people's views.

The importance of belonging is also conveyed by Yakin in Remember The Titans, influencing the audience's understanding of the need to form connections with others. The film focuses on how the Titans need to come together as a team in order to succeed, with the characters finding that they are strongest and happiest when they are united as one. In the locker scene, Blue Stanton shows acceptance of Gerry by starting "yo mama" jokes. At first, Gerry doesn't get the joke because of a cultural barrier and a shot of his facial expression shows anger. When Julius and Louis Lastik join in, however, his facial expression shows a slow realisation and he even starts smiling. Yakin is able to effectively demonstrate to the audience the benefits of belonging to a group.

Through his use of an amalgamation of film techniques, director Boaz Yakin successfully conveys to the audience that overcoming adversity may be difficult, but the end result is worthwhile. Similarly, altering one's perspective and belonging to a team can have a positive impact on an individual. Through his exploration of these issues, Yakin creates empathy for the character's experiences in the audience and enhances the audience's understanding of the significance of these concerns.