Chapter 15: Spectacle

There was nothing but anxiety bundled up in her nerves. She had to keep herself busy. Every so often she swore her fingers were twitching for something to do. The only things in plain sight were the messy belongings Planchet had lugged around prior to the mission. Her hands curled within a woolen knitting she had attempted. It was worn through by the looks of it and unsuitable to wear for mittens.

Her fingernails dug into the holes, inspecting the damage before tossing it aside to fold already neatly pressed laundry. Something didn't settle well. And Antoinette had the gut wrenching feeling it had something to do with Milady's... timely death.

No doubt she had hated the woman for all the treachery but did that call for the pained expressions for Athos? It was almost too much to bear for him. The first time they see each other is at the opposite end of a gun.

Her hands roamed at her neck, groping for her pulse. She thanked God and her lucky heavens they had spared her and Aramis that punishment. Life without the other would be unimaginable. She kept muttering to herself they'll arrive back in Paris without further delay and things would be back to where they were suppose to be- miles away from each other.

Her teeth bit into her bottom lip. A few manicured nails curled around her chin wondering what else could possible separate them. True, they would spend whatever precious time... But sooner or later they would be called back into their societal rankings.

As apprehension etched her features, her voice squeaked, "Planchet?"

Planchet stumbled over a box with his hat threatening to fall off. "Yes Madame?"

Feeling the return of her voice, she cooly ordered, "Could you fetch something to eat for Aramis? I'm sure he's absolutely starving,"

He nodded. He cheerfully responded, "And that nice brandy in the cupboard for his parched throat?" He wigged his fingers in delight, probably hoping to sneak a drink before delivering it.

Seeing right through his antics, Antoinette wagged her finger pointedly. "You know too well Aramis prefers a nice bottle of chardonnay,"

Disappointed but nonetheless, he went his way. "On it!"

Antoinette continued her work deligently. Her hands folded the linens making every crease curt and noticeable. A lady's work is simply never done. She thanked the heavens out of the men, she had chosen a respectable and clean one. As she was storing the last linen to the luggage, she went rigid.

There was a small noise. One that required acute sense in order to hear. She felt it shake from her ears down to her stiff shoulders. Her nerves tried to remain calm, which was evident on her face. Ordinarily she turned her head slightly to the left, keening into the sound coming from behind.

An adjustment against the threshold caught her senses to overreact.

"Brandy is starting to develop a taste on my tongue," a husky voice calmed her racing heart.

Her body returned to its natural position and continued her work on the foot of the bed. "After six years, you would think I would be used to your shades?" She straightened the down could almost feel his smirk pierce through her. She giggled amusedly.

Then another noise came. This time it was rogue. Aramis stood out of the way as a huffing and puffing Planchet slammed the brakes to his feet.

Antoinette put a hand to her hip with a brow quirked. "That was quick?"

He saluted her once he somewhat regained breathing levels. "At your service, mistress!"

He handed the bottle and two turned down glasses to Aramis. She drilled, "As you were,"