CHAPTER NINETEEN

It had been months since Lavi and Bookman left the Order. While the parting was somewhat bittersweet, it was much appreciated as they could move around more freely and more often. With this reclaimed freedom, the duo began searching for a way to contact Allen. They couldn't very well do so while at the Order-no, that'd endanger too much.

So far, they weren't having much luck. Everywhere they went, either the Order was there or Akuma levels were too high for there not to be exorcist activity nearby. It was starting to become hopeless. That is, until Allen contacted them.

How he had known where to find them and that they were no longer with the others was a mystery in itself. Deciding to dwell on the matter at a different time, they followed the instructions left by the Musician carefully.

Go to London.

They had arrived a few days later.

Go to the corner café with the red roof across the cemetery and sit outside.

Lavi made a joke about how cliché this seemed. Bookman proceeded to smack the back of his apprentice's head.

Wait for the girl in brown.

Which was a bit more difficult than it sounded as there were dozens of women who passed by with some shade of brown incorporated into their outfit somehow. It was a miracle when this child with dark purple hair sat at their table.

"Long time, no see." She greeted them with a tiny smile, for appearances they deemed. "Did you wait long?"

It took a moment before the redhead recognized her. Road. The very one who had messed with his mind back in the Ark. The one who had been nothing but an annoyance. He had wanted to say something but he couldn't.

Don't cause a scene. Follow her instructions.

Allen trusted her so, to some extent, they would too.

"The weather is lovely today, isn't it?" Bookman supplied when Lavi had gone silent. "A nice day for a walk, is it not?"

"Oh, of course!" Road easily agreed as her smile grew, standing up in the process. "Come, let me show you around!"

The men mimicked her actions, left a tip for the waitress, and followed the 'younger' girl to their destination, all the while keeping up the small talk.

"You should see how big the dog has grown! You'd hardly recognize him." She spoke in a cryptic manner; smart move.

If this was how the girl wanted to give information, then Bookman saw no other option than to join in. "Ah, we've been eager to see him. Is he well? His paw was giving him trouble when we late saw the poor boy."

Grateful for the continued act, Dreams nodded; paying close attention to their surroundings. "He's much better! We've moved, sadly, but he's been so well with the adjustments."

"What a trooper." Lavi chimed in with a grin. "He'll be so happy when he sees who you've picked up on the way home."

What the lolita had planned to say never came as they approached a building. "Here we are! Don't forget to wipe your feet; I just cleaned the floors."

When they entered the building, they were greeted with a sight they weren't expecting.

Not one bit.