Chapter Four: Twenty Questions

Once they arrived at Sneaky Petes everyone on the boat separated and sat at different tables. Annie, Jules, Sara, Calum, Luke, Michael all walked in a cluster up the hill to the restaurant with Ashton trailing close behind. Ashton clamped his fingers over his nose, holding his breath from the smoke everywhere.

"Hey, guys! They're having open mic! You guys up for it?" Calum grinned, widely. Calum, Luke, and Michael were all in a band together called 5 seconds of summer. They didn't have a very large following yet, but they had only just started posting covers on YouTube.

"Yeah, but we don't have a drummer." Luke sighed in disappointment.

"You're right." Calum frowned.

"I-i can play drums." Ashton chimed in nervously. Ashton's father used to be a musician so, before he walked out, he offered to teach him how to play any instrument. Ashton chose the drums because he felt like he would be most comfortable there, at the back of the stage, in his on little area. He would loose himself in the sound of the music and the beat of the drums and just enjoy the moment.

"You can?" Michael raised an eyebrow and Ashton nodded his head.

"Great! What can you play?" Luke asked eagerly.

"Anything by Green Day." Ashton chuckled. He figured they might be able to play something by Green Day, judging by the Green Day t-shirt that Michael was wearing.

"Do you guys wanna play American Idiot?" Michael suggested. Calum, Michael, and Luke had practiced that song so much it was practically engraved in their minds.

"Sure!" Ashton agreed and Luke walked over to the signup sheet, writing the band name in the third slot while everyone else made their way through the smoke by the pool onto a table on the deck.

Ashton quickly sat down next to Annie, along with the rest of the group. Jules was sitting by Calum, Sara by Michael, and Luke was in between Michael and Ashton. A waitress soon came by to drop off menus and Ashton's eyes widened as her breasts were practically popping out of her shirt. He looked away immediately feeling embarrassed. He had never see anything like that before so he was quite shocked. Of course there was the that one time when he came her when he was younger but he remembered the uniforms being much more modest before.

"Dude, did you see the jugs on that woman?!?" Michael whispered into Ashton's ear.

"Uh, yeah..." Ashton trailed off.

"Whoa, dude, I'm so sorry! Are you gay?" Michael asked, quite loudly.

"What?!? No! I just don't think that you should judge a woman based on the size of her you know..." Ashton defended making a cupping shape with his hands and holding them up to his chest. In that moment Annie gained an enormous amount of respect for the boy, despite the gesture he had just made with his hands. Michael and Calum, of course, laughed at his defensive response.

"Hey, it's okay man. There's no need to get upset. None of us are homophobic, we won't judge you." Michael lightened the mood.

"Yeah, we don't really care if you're gay or not." Calum joined the conversation while Luke kept quiet and stared at the ground.

"Thanks guys, but I'm not gay." Ashton clarified and began looking at the menu.

"Are you all ready to put in your orders?" The waitress came back a few minutes later. She took everyone's orders before returning to the kitchen to give them to the cook.

"Anyone want to go swimming?" Sara asked, eager to get in the water. Jules nodded her head.

"Let's go in the lake!" Michael said, "It's more punk rock. The pool is too mainstream."

"You're not punk rock." Calum laughed, getting up, grabbing Jules hand and running past the pool, and down to the lake.

"Awe otp!" Annie gushed, she was just your average hopeless romantic. Next Michael and Sara made their way down to the lake, leaving Ashton and Annie at the table alone.

"Aren't you gonna go swimming?" Ashton asked Annie. Annie was extremely insecure and she was around people that she really wasn't comfortable with.

"They'll all laugh at me." Annie thought, "They'll all judge me and make fun of me."

Annie pushed her thoughts aside and answered as Ashton's question, cool as a cucumber, with a simple, "That depends, are you?"

"No." Ashton quickly declined.

"Then neither will I!" Annie declared. Smiling widely, Ashton smiling back. Their Happy Faces may have been fake at the time, but that would soon change.

They both sat in an uncomfortable silence for the next few minutes until Ashton broke the ice, "Want to play twenty questions?" He grinned, cheerfully. Ashton was very close with his siblings, once a month they would play twenty questions to see who's answers would change.

"Um...sure." Annie hesitated, taken aback by his offering to play the game that was famous for being used by fuckboys to get into some girls pants at a bar. Annie had had her fair share of encounters with fuckboys and girls too. One on the internet threatened to kill her parents if she didn't send him nudes. However, Ashton's innocent smile made Annie give in to playing the game, she just hoped that it wouldn't lead to what she was thinking.

"Okay, I'll go first! Who's your favorite band?" Ashton smiled.

"Blink-182," Annie answered, "Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes, I have two! My sister, Lauren and my brother, Harry. What about you?"

"I have one brother named Alex." Annie suddenly felt guilty for ever thinking that Ashton could be a fuckboy, "What's your favorite color?"

"Black." Ashton replied. Annie expected this, she didn't like it though. For some reason black had always resembled death or sadness. But the truth is you can like black and be completely happy. Just because you like a certain color doesn't mean that color represents your personality. However, with Ashton it did or at least that's what it seemed like. Ashton was always nervous, scared, or upset.

"Oh, how punk rock of you," Annie giggled, reviving a confused look on Ashton. "Punk rock, it's like, well nevermind."

Ashton laughed, asking Annie the same question, "What's your favorite color?"

"Silver," Annie smiled, proudly. She was someone who was expected to love the colors pink or purple, but Annie loved the color silver. It wasn't as dark as black, but wasn't as bright at pink. It fit her perfectly and didn't follow the stereotypes. Stereotypes were the one thing that Annie hated the most. "What's your middle name?"

Ashton's face went from tan to a bright red tomato like color. He covered his face with his hands, embarrassed to say his horrific middle name.

"Come on, I'm sure it can't be that bad!" Annie pleaded.

"It's fletcher," Ashton looked up shyly, "I know, horrible, right?"

"No, that's cute!" Annie gushed.

"What's your full name?" Ashton pressed.

"Annie Genevieve Aldrich," She answered, timidly.

"I like it." Ashton smiled.

They continued playing the game for about ten minutes until everyone else came back to the table.

a/n yo yo yo i didn't proof read this so sorry if there's a ton of mistakes 😂

my heart goes out to all the families who lost loved ones away in japan, mexico, and france. please stay safe everyone and be extra careful if you are near london or baghdad. it has been rumored that isis will attack there next. i love you all xx 💘