Can He Stay for a Few Days...Maybe a Week?

Chivonn:

I'm twenty four years old and though I've gotten a college education... staying on my feet has been a struggle over the last year. My degree is in business and my goal is to one day be a Senior business leader for an established company, but so far all I've succeeded at was scoring secretarial assistant jobs. My older brother Bryan, twenty seven, is going through that same struggle. On top of that his now ex-girlfriend and baby mama, kicked him out of the apartment that he paid rent for, went to court and got his pay checks nearly cut in half to pay child support, and barely lets him see my little niece, Davea who is six months old, and nephew Darius who's two.

Momma, love her to death, but living with her is a nightmare. She hovers like no other and is the biggest gossip in town. If you don't want your business in the streets don't let my momma find out. So going back home to live with her was not an option. Bryan and I have always been close. He's had my back since I was born. He even came to my apartment last year when my ex-boyfriend was going psycho on me and beat the shit out of him for me. So it just logically made sense for us to live together. We could upgrade from our tiny one bedroom apartments to a two bedroom townhome with more space if we split the rent and utilities, so that was exactly what we did.

Things were working out great and I loved having my brother around because he made me feel safe here. But if only I knew what was coming...

"Yo! Chivonn! Can we talk for a minute?" He yelled as he came into the house. He had left early this morning which was unusual for him and it was now around noon. I could hear the faint sound of someone else's soft voice talking and then my brother spoke again. "Nigga... just wait outside til I tell you it's good to come in." I came down the small staircase that leads directly into the living room right by the front door in the living room. My brother had just closed the door on whoever was standing outside.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"Uh..."

When my brother starts a sentence with 'uh..' he's doing something wrong or plans on doing something wrong. I crossed my arms across my chest and just stared at him waiting for him to go on.

"You uh... wouldn't mind, if um... I have a friend stay over for a couple of days would you?" He asked scratching his braids nervously.

I let my arms dropped and laughed at his silly ass. "No, why would that be a problem?"

"He uh... just got out of prison."

*Brakes and tires squealing*

"What?!" my arms crossed again. Bryan had always managed to stay on the good path even though he occasionally associated with crowds from the other side of town that were not too good. Yes, he smoked his occasional weed, he drank fairly often, and he and his buddies frequented one of the most ratchet strip clubs in town, but aside from these things he was a fairly decent guy with no record. I didn't know how I felt about him bring around any of his 'friends' from the other side of town. I wasn't trying to wake up one morning to find all my prized possessions gone...

"I knew... you was gonna react that way... He got locked up over some trivial bullshit, nothin' serious for real. You remember Michael Jackson right? He and I been down since the third grade!"

"Yeah and then he dropped out of school in the 8th grade and has been nothing but a worthless thug ever since. I don't think it's a good idea to have him around. I wouldn't feel safe, Bryan."

"Please! He's tryin'a do right now... He just needs a place to stay for a couple of days. He don't need to go back to his old hood. There's niggas there that just been waitin' on his ass to get out so they can jump him. I don't wanna see him going right back into dat same shit day one out of prison."