Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I hate funerals. I always have.

I had to go to my Great Aunt Lucy's funeral a few years back and the serious faces, tearful greetings, and insanely cold weather nearly drove me crazy.

If my father hadn't been as famous as he was, my mother and I probably would've forgone the funeral. My father always said he didn't really want one anyway.

But, with big names here like, the President, we had to do something. I just wish that 'something' could have been a bit more private.

* * * * *

"Maybe we should cry a little." I whispered to my mother.

"I've cried so much, lately." She sighed. "I'm not going to cry in front of these bastards. Claiming to be Jamie's friends. It's disgusting. All they ever did was try and stab him in the back and take away what he deserved for working so hard. They wanted his title, but they're all a bunch of-"

"Whoa there, mom. I think you've had a bit too much to drink." I said it disapprovingly, but really I was jealous. I wish I could afford to be drunk.

A quick glance around showed that no one was looking, so I swirled my wine and gulped it down like water. My mother raised her eyebrow.

"Sorry, I just-"

"I know." She whispered. She looked over my shoulder, and her face paled.

"What?" I asked, afraid to turn my back.

"Here comes Mr. President."

* * * * *

We walked along the beach. His security detail followed a few yards behind, their eyes boring into my back.

He looked up at me expectantly. I sighed a little, but launched into a report about my diplomatic affairs. Some of it I made up or left out.

When I finished he just stared out at the water. My dad's wish was to be cremated and have his ashes poured into the ocean. He didn't specify where, but Mom and I knew he'd want it to be near his hometown of Oceanside, California.

I waited patiently for him to say something and when he did, my eyes widened and my jaw dropped.

"F*ck this." he swallowed hard. "I hate this. I hate these... creatures, who have invaded our homes. I hate how pompous and arrogant they are because they have special abilities. I hate the extra security. I hate that my people feel hopeless. I hate that there's nothing I can do. So, f*ck it."

After I overcame my initial shock, I grinned.

"I know exactly what you mean, sir." I, of course was mostly talking about the arrogant and pompous part, but he didn't need to know that.

He looked up at me and nodded.

* * * * *

The funeral was over, all the officials and important people had gone and now I was driving my mother and myself to our hotel.

My fingers gripped the steering wheel as I forced myself to think about everything but my dad and our vacations to the beach here. Before everything went to hell, and my family was still normal, my dad had time for my mother and I.

It wasn't fair that he was gone. It wasn't fair that in this new society, even though I was only nineteen and hadn't finished my schooling, I had to take over his job. I wish I could have lived the life of a normal teenager.

I passed sign after sign, before finally reaching the exit for our hotel. Easing off the interstate, I managed to stay within the lines as I swiped at my wet eyes.

My mom was sleeping in the passenger seat, too tired to stay awake any longer.

I couldn't find any parking near the hotel, so I parked a few blocks away.

We had chosen to stay in a low quality hotel, so we didn't have to deal with anyone we knew. People here understood the need for privacy. I gently shook my mother awake and handed her the purse she had insisted she bring along.

Silently, we walked towards our beds and a restless night's sleep.

And-

Suddenly, a black shape lunged from the bushes of a nearby house.

* * * * *

I've taken countless self defense classes. I know how to defend myself. It's just, I've never really had to defend myself.

I'd like to say that when my attacker leaped from the bushes, I calmly punched him in the gut, blocked his swing towards my face, and did that cool jump in the air, twist and kick thing that Jackie Chan always does.

I didn't. In fact I kinda sorta screamed and stood still. My mom swiped her purse at him, but since the thing didn't contain anything more than gum, aspirin, and her wallet, it didn't do much damage.

The man snarled and pushed my mother to the ground.

When his head came up, I noticed his eyes were cat-like and a glowing yellow. Unnatural. Supernatural.

I needed to get to my mom, but he was blocking the way. I'd have to deal with him first.

His mouth opened, revealing sharp canines. I didn't realize until it was too late that those canine's were coming closer and closer until-

I screamed as his teeth dug into the skin of my neck, biting at me.

I pushed and struggled, and then jammed my knee up into his groin. He grunted but kept on chewing as if he didn't register the pain. If that wouldn't work to incapacitate him, I didn't know what would.

I was losing blood and energy fast, I felt myself start to relax.

No! Come on, Faye! You can do it! Stay awake and fight him! my mind screamed.

I can't. Must sleep now.

No!! Stay awa-

A flash of bright light and I was out.

* * * * *

Author's Note: This is not edited, so just letting you know that I know it isn't always grammatically correct.

I love how many people like my story! Thanks for the comments and votes, I promise to try and keep writing good chapters.

Please give me constructive criticism! If you weren't as satisfied with this chapter please tell me why so I can try and make this story better.

Thanks for reading guys!

P.S. I couldn't find a song to fit this chapter. Anyone have any ideas?