Part 6 <Edited>

Carter Meyers poured himself a mug of coffee from the station's coffee maker.

"Morning, Meyers." the chief said, walking over.

"Chief Buckett. How are you?" Meyers asked, looking at the chief.

"Mighty fine." the chief poured himself a mug. "Don't be late for the briefing. It'll be interesting, and I have a case just for you."

"Yes sir." Meyers watched as the chief walked away and let out a breath of air.

"Okay, as we all know, we're getting swamped and people are demanding that we find the Dark Lover."

Everyone around him shifted uncomfortably.

"Come now, someone has to go after her."

"How do you know it's a 'her'?" Meyers found himself asking.

The chief beamed. "Meyers, thank you for asking. This is your case."

Meyers's jaw dropped. "What?"

"Yep. You're handling the Dark Lover case."

Meyers found himself struggling to come to terms with what the chief said. He was going after the Dark Lover?

》♡《

Sighing, Meyers turned on the light in his one bedroom apartment. Throwing his keys into the tray, Meyers looked through his mail.

Then he found a letter. He never thought he would actually get it.

Dear Mr. Meyers

Upon your request, I am grieved to inform you of the late Charles Carmichael's passing.

Mr. Weather