Broken Pieces

Michael's PoV

I could feel it.

There was something in this house that didn't belong. It felt wrong-foreign.

I had been playing guitar. I had my acoustic perched on my leg, and I was hunched over a piece of paper on the floor, trying to get the words to fall out of my head. First came the cold, and then the noise.

It was a soft noise. Something was stirring downstairs. It could have been casual movement, but in that moment, I could tell that it was much, much more. Fear gripped me, and I started shaking uncontrollably. I had the sudden urge to cry, and I had to put my guitar down to avoid knocking it out of tune.

The strings then proceed to pop off, one by one, making a lot more noise then it should have.

Something was so terribly wrong. Leaping up, I whipped my door open and frantically looked left and right. All clear. Dashing I out, I practically tumbled down the stairs.

Luke was there.

It was like trying to watch a movie with those stupid glasses-blue in one eye and red in the other. Like, there were three Luke Hemmings, all different colors. Three forms were within each other, making him hazy and distorted. It was like he was lagging, the way you do when you're video chatting and the service is crappy. But he looked like a ghost, taking multiple forms with every movement. He was screaming bloody murder as he literally tore away the wall.

But within a few seconds, it was over. He turned around to face me, his voice now hoarse, and collapsed. His black eyes closed, and he lay unconscious on the floor.

I was crying at this point, yelling for Calum. He came, but not soon enough. I was fücking horrified.

So Calum hurriedly down the stairs, looking half as panicked as I was. I managed to get the idea of what had happened out, but I couldn't explain to him what I had actually seen. He reassured me that it was probably just stress, and that we would get him help if he needed it. He asked me to stop crying, but I couldn't. I was traumatized. Calum and I picked Luke up and put him on the couch in the front room.

I went back to my room, completely ignoring my now useless guitar and crawled into bed. I huddled into a little ball with my computer, playing some distressed rock music to drown out any scarring silence and researched hallucinations. And then from hallucinations, I moved to supernatural sightings.

Within a couple of hours, I had concluded that I had encountered a personal demon.

I'm not superstitious at all. I went to a Christian school, so I was mildly religious, but I knew enough to understand that Hell was a legit thing and exorcisms weren't fake. Demons were real. But the thing was that I didn't know what to do. I didn't go to church. Could you just call up a priest and ask them to perform a ceremony? I don't want to call one of those ghost-busting teams-this wasn't a haunting.

I needed to talk to Calum when he woke up. Or Ashton, when he got back. Or someone. I couldn't risk accidentally talking to the demon itself. How would I know when Luke was possessed? Would his eyes go black? This was the first time he ever passed out, to our knowledge. That probably meant that it was getting more serious. How long had he been suffering?

So many questions! Groaning, I rolled out of bed, plugging my earbuds into my phone. Music always makes everything better. Or worse. Depends on what you're listening to. Exiting my room, I just about plowed into Calum.

"Oh, hi babe," he said jokingly. "I didn't see you there."

"How can you not see me? I'm like, the only person around," I answered in an exaggerated girlish tone.