Chapter 8

•Possessive•

"Sometimes the smallest animal inflicts the greatest pain"

Light streams through the opened curtains across Kol and I's body. I blink slowly, wiping the sleep out of my eyes. Kol was still sound asleep, his tanned back glistening from the rays of sunshine. His arms are no longer around me but tightly wrapped around my pillow under his head, his hair splayed across my mattress.

I nudge the blankets out from under him noticing that he had taken all of the covers and was laying on top of them. My exposed legs were covered in goosebumps. Kol groans as I continue to pull the covers, rocking his body.

"Kol, I'm cold." I mumble, shutting my eyes closed as I yank the covers.

He groans and lifts up his upper body where the majority of the blankets were piled. I quickly yank them and cover my body with them, sighing into the warmness.

Kol lifts his head and looks at me, one eye open, "Are you happy?"

I shrug, "What time is it?"

Kol playfully nudges me and looks across the room to where Rose's alarm clock is, "It's nine."

I turn over and face him, running my cold hands down his back, "It takes eight hours to get to her house."

He shivers and grabs my hands, turning to lay on his back, "How'd you sleep?" He asks in all seriousness.

I yawn and cuddle up against his chest, "Great, you?"

He wraps his arms around me and cups my back with his warm hands, "I had a few dreams and at one point I gave up on sleep and just laid here."

I wrap my hands around his waist, "I'm sorry. We'll figure everything out."

~

The ride to my mother's felt like an eternity. Kol agreed that we could skip school for a couple of days since football was almost over and his next game was until a few more weeks.

Packing only took a few minutes considering that the full moon was tomorrow and we hadn't planned on going anywhere but my moms house. Kol would go through his first transition at the first place my dad did.

My mother's standing outside on the front porch in a yellow sundress waving her arms at us as she sees Kol's jeep down the street. It had almost been a year since I've last been in my hometown. I could feel a swelling in my chest at the sweet memories with my brother and dad, "She looks better." I mumble more to myself.

Kol squeezes my fingers and pulls into the drive. I quickly get out and run up the wooden porch steps and into my mother's arms. She hugs me tight, telling me how much she's missed me, "You need to visit more, Ava."

I wipe a stray tear off my cheek and smile widely in apology, "I know, I'm sorry. Just college seems to be getting harder and more stressful. I miss it here so much."

My mother playfully slaps my shoulder, "And to think a couple of years ago you were dying to leave this town."

I hear Kol walk up the creaky steps behind me. My mother opens her arms in welcome and hugs him tightly also. He holds our bags in his hand while he wraps his arms around her small frame. Although she was glowing in her sundress I couldn't help but notice how skinny she was. Her skinny arms looking like straps around Kol's frame.