Chapter 9

•The First Time•

"So shall it be for evermore"

My mom watches Kol's retreating back, "He's not going to the bathroom."

I lift a suspicious eyebrow, peering over my drink, "Why do you say that?"

She leans back in her chair and clucks her tongue, "Because he has our waiter by the throat."

I stand up quickly, nearly knocking my chair back into the table behind us, "I can't believe this," I mumble as I jog over towards the opening into the restaurant searching for Kol's big form ruffing up our poor waitress.

I spot him underneath the restroom sign pushing our waitress up against the wall. The boy looked much smaller compared to Kol, especially when he was cowering in fear.

I fast walk over to him, looking at people as I do. No one seems to notice Kol in plain sight.

"Kol." I whisper, rounding the corner. He doesn't seem to notice or he's ignoring me, "Kol!" I say louder, grabbing a hold of his arm.

His muscles are tense and as I pull it doesn't seek to effect him. The waiter is looking at me now, pleading with his eyes to help him out. I look away quickly from his gaze and reach my hand up to Kol's face-hoping it would grab his attention better.

His eyes dilate to black quickly and snap to mine, taking my breath away. Kol grits his teeth but doesn't release our waiter, "He knows something, Ava."

I look up to our waiter, studying him, trying to figure anything out of place. He looked like a regular teen waiting tables with an expression of fear plastered on his face like any boy being held by the throat would, "Kol, he's frightened. Give him a chance to explain."

His hands only loosen a bit but the waiter gasps out and breaths in deeply, "I really don't know much-seriously. I know you're a powerful man, I can smell it on you but I mean you know harm, Alpha."

Kol flinches at the word and pushes the kid against the wall a little harder, "You're a werewolf?"

The boy nods his head frantically as he claws at Kol's arms, "I mean no harm. I-" he screams as Kol growls loudly and shoves him harder.

"Kol!" I scream, covering my mouth in fear.

Was he seriously going to lose control in here of all places because a werewolf could smell his rank?

Kol's eyes shift to a dangerous red, "Threaten the safety of my mate and I one more time and you'll be dead, got it?"

The boy nods, tears sliding down his face and slapping onto Kol's forearm.

Kol drops him, the waiter quickly scurrying off in fear behind a corner and into the kitchen. I tremble as Kol breaths through his nose and walks past me, completely ignoring me, "Your moms at the car."

~

I follow far behind Kol as he crosses the street and heads to his jeep. He doesn't even seem to care for my safety as I nearly stumble onto the road as a few tipsy teenagers drive by fast without any warning. Tears threaten to fall at the cold shoulder I've been given. Did he just expect me to let him kill the kid? He'd regret it later just like I would. It reminded my too much of the first time he let his anger get the best of him.