The Background

I heard massive amounts of beeping wherever I was. I was really hoping it was a hospital, because if it wasn't, I was probably in hell. I slowly opened my eyes and groaned. I glared at the bright white light above me. "Okay, I am definitely in a hospital, 'cause I'm sure as shit I'm not in heaven," I muttered. "Excellent guess, you intelligent female being," I heard a guy say. I rolled my head to the right and saw a dude probably in his 40's sitting next to my bed. I glared at him for a few seconds before closing my eyes. "Excellent sarcasm, you also intelligent male asshole," I shot back. I could feel his eyes on me, so I looked at him again.  "What?" I asked. "What makes you think I'm intelligent?" He asked. I chuckled and winced because damn, that hurt. "You're definitely a doctor and judging by your clothes, a stubborn one. I'm sure someone has tried making you wear a lab coat on multiple occasions, but they've given up every time. I'm also guessing that you're pretty damn good at what you do," I said, smirking. Judging by the dude's face, he wasn't expecting my intelligence level to be as high as it was. "Why do you think I'm so good at what I do?" He asked, looking at me closely. I sighed. "What is this, 20 Questions? Judging by your general demeanor and your wonderful assholeness, patients probably complain about you a lot. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that patients complain a lot. Any other doctor would be fired pretty quickly, but not you. So you must be good," I finished. The dude looked at me, stunned. "We have to get you in for some tests now that you're awake. Dr. Cameron will come get you in a bit," The guy said, still looking at me in shock. "Sounds good," I said as he started walking out. "Hey, what's your name?" I asked. He turned around and smirked. "The only thing you can't figure out, huh?" I rolled my eyes. "I'm not a friggin' mind reader," I muttered. "Gregory House," He said. "Even though I'm sure you already know my name, but I'm Tess Collins," I said, starting to get tired again. "Get some rest, intelligent female being," House said. I groaned at the nickname. "Thanks, also intelligent male asshole," I said, rolling over. I heard him scoff and limp out. Yeah, I noticed he had a cane that supported his hurt leg. I just didn't want to figure out what happened, because whatever it was, I was sure it was bad. "I'm sure I'll find out during the time that I'm here," I mumble, slowly falling asleep.