TWENTY - FIVE

"You look happy."

Ki sits in front of me as I hold the medical textbook to my chest.

Lately I've been going through the glossary to learn terms like horripilation and lachrymation. They are really over complicated. They're long, confusing terms with very simple meanings.

I simply nod at his presence. We're sitting at a table on the outside of the home, and he's drinking chamomile tea, slowly sipping it until it's down to it's last drop.

"Yeah," I say.

He laughs, sipping at his tea again and looking over to me. It is utterly silent and my heart is throbbing.

"I think I love Dr. Letterman," he says.

My heart stops as I look up to him.

"Love?"

He nods his head and continues with, "It's a feeling of deep affection and warmth and . . . it's when you get to just look at them or be in their presence and everything makes se-"

"Oh," I say. My brain is crumpling apart at the idea of such a small word with such a complicated meaning. "Oh . . . okay."

Love.

I look away.

"I think I might love you," I say.

He simply laughs and says, "I don't think you understand . . ."

I look into his eyes and drown myself in them, at the mop of black hair.

I look at him.

I want to say, I understand perfectly well.

I don't.