FORTY - TWO

"Today we remember Lola Faye Frier."

The man who speaks of Lola in the black suit knows nothing of her life - not a second of it. He knows nothing about her love for sunsets, or bright yellow books such as The Rosie Project, or complicated words with simple meanings, or Ki.

Especially not her love for Ki.

Still, he continues to talk, and Francesca and Ki and Kyle and Thomas continue to listen. They listen to every drawn out word with little to no meaning.

"I would like to introduce Ki Park to the podium to say a few words."

Ki releases Francesca's hand from his tight grasp.

He tells himself he only held her hand to prevent the tears.

He knows he's lying.

When Ki stands up to the audience of three people, he speaks - not with any particular preparation mind you.

"Lola is a woman I've had the honor to know," he says. "I would say was, but I like to think that the impact a person leaves on others lives on forever. I also like to think that the impact Lola had on my life was a big one."

He makes eye contact with Francesca. She's smiling, her thumb pressed against her upper lip.

"Lola Frier loves Korean food, and boring medical textbooks, and clocks. God, that girl loves clocks."

Francesca laughs as a tear trickles down her freckled cheek.

"She hates white walls. I remember she mumbled that after her brain surgery. She mumbled how horrid the stupid white walls are, and I can't disagree with her on that to be perfectly honest."

Kyle is crying; she didn't expect to. She thought she would be in and out with no tears. She likes to think she's strong.

"I really love her," Ki says.

And he does.