TWENTY - NINE

I eat alone in the dining hall; Kyle's sick and wanted to spend the day in bed reading. It's spaghetti day, and the bread sticks are dry. My back is slouched against the chair as I finish page 84 of The Rosie Project.

It's then that a woman who wears a floral jacket walks up to my empty table, tapping me on the shoulder. Her skin is slightly drooping along her cheekbones, and her light blue eyes scrunch together as the sunlight hits them.

"You have a visitor," she says.

I stand, anticipating to see dark eyes hidden beneath a mop of black hair. I anticipate soft hands fiddling with one another. My eyes flicker to the door.

Instead, a man walks towards me. Suddenly, I see the red bike again. I see swirling caramel skin and the glass shards scattered along the scolding hot pavement. I feel my breaths get heavy as I imagine pedaling.

He gets closer.

Pedal faster.

"Hello, Lola."

My breathing stops.

My eyes are fixated on the hazel ones in front of me. The light yellow walls start to blur together. I see the red braids that elongate down the back of the woman Ki loves. I see flashes of a black and white screen. I smell the stale bread sticks on spaghetti day. 

The clock is working again.

Tick tock.

Then the world is dark.