Chapter One

"Sophie!" Fitz said to me, waving his hand in front of my face.

"What?" I said, brought out of my thoughts on how to get Keefe back from the Neverseen, as well as the cache.

"It's lunch time." He said simply.

"Oh." I had no appetite again though. But my friends always made her eat her food.We walked to the cafeteria, and sat down at their normal table. Jensi, Biana and Dex joined them. I felt a hole in the table. The spot next to me was empty, and I stared at the spot Keefe used to sit in. Fitz noticed me staring.

"Biana, come sit next to Sophie." Fitz said, and Biana moved so she took up Keefe's spot. Dex-still not a fan of the Vacker's even with all that they've been through together-scowled as I was surrounded by them.

"Sophie. We'll get Keefe back." Fitz said. I knew he added on "and the cache" at the end, but we had to keep that a secret from everybody. Even the council.

"You excited for Telepathy?" Jensi said, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah. More trust exercises. Do you think we're close?" I said, looking at my Cognate.

"My dad said it takes awhile, but it seems to go faster with us." Fitz said.

"I want to be your cognate!" Dex whined.

"Dex, we've gone over this. Cognates have to be telepaths and have a connection. Since Fitz slipped into my mind once-and knows the way past my blocking, he has to be it."

"Wait. He can transmit to you?" Jensi interrupted.

"Well, yeah. But it's part of our training. If I really wanted to, I could block him. But seeing as we know each others secrets....every single one almost, why not let him into my mind?" I said, shrugging.

"But what about?" Dex said, raising his eyebrows. Not this again. I knew he meant me telling Fitz about my feelings for him. But then.........why was I reacting this way to Keefe leaving? Every time I thought about him my brain went into overdrive, I zoned out, or on rare occasions started to cry.

"Today, Dex." I whispered. Today was the day that we had to share every last secret in our brains. Even the ones I kept when I was living with humans. Of course, this would be telepathically.

Ready to share everything? Fitz transmitted into my mind, after I gave him permission to.

Wait for telepathy! That way Tiergan can watch us and see how far we progress! I transmitted back.

"NO TELEPATHIC CONVERSATIONS AT SCHOOL!" Dex said loudly.

"It's not like it's anything bad. It was just about telepathy and what we have to do today." I protested.

Dex is just jealous he can't do this. Fitz transmitted, and when I looked at him, he was smirking for reasons that only I knew.

Yeah. Do you think he likes Technopathy still? I transmitted back, trying to keep the smile on my face unsuspicious.

Yeah.

I think he'll do amazing things. Even if he doesn't have a cognate like he wants.

I think he just wants to know everything about you.

That's Dex. And since he refuses to talk to you and have a good conversation he can't ask YOU anything.

"GUYS!" Jensi said, knowing what we were doing.

"JENSI!" I mimicked, in a exact copy of his voice. I had been practicing mimicking in school.