Chapter 12

Chapter 12

As soon as Jackson heard the last word, his face paled. "He's inside." He whispered.

Chloe watched as he snatched up the phone on his desk, jammed in a few numbers, then barked into the receiver. "Lieutenant, I have a code yellow. Be alert and on your feet. Threat is to Sparks, possibly Majestic, and Queenie. Keep me updated."

His eyes flicked to hers. "You are not going anywhere until I clear an officer to watch over you."

Avery cleared her throat. "Sir, don't you think we should take a moment for Elizabeth to get changed?"

Chloe wanted that. Desperately. It scared her how fast a day that started off so well could go south so quickly. How could she walk around the palace knowing that somewhere inside lurked her stalker? Her stomach twisted at the thought.

"Also-and I know it's not really in my place to play devil's advocate, but-do we know for sure that the stalker is the one that took the clothes? We can't just jump to conclusions here." Avery continued, setting a glass onto the desk in front of Chloe. She choked down half of the large glass and still her throat was dry.

"Who else would it be, Avery?" Jackson's eyebrows came together as he frowned at her.

Avery shrugged. It amazed Chloe how unafraid Avery seemed to be of her brother. Because, to be honest, Jackson even intimidated her.

Jackson had this air of competence about him. He knew how to take care of situations. While Chloe was bumbling her way through life, Jackson was straight and steady. He knew what he wanted, what he needed, and how to get it.

He had strength. He knew how to attack, how to defend, and how to threaten. When he was angry, a dark menacing cloud came over him. When he felt threatened, his focus sharpened and he worked his way out of it.

Jackson was a force to be reckoned with. If Chloe could be half of him, she'd be unstoppable.

"Someone in the cleaning crew may have made a mistake." Avery supplied. "Or even a mix-up. But do we really need to go down to Defcon 1 for possibly nothing?"

Jackson's whole body straightened. Darkness encompassed his face. "I'm not taking any chances."

Chloe bit her lip and sank further down into her chair.

Avery's expression only softened. "I get that. I do. I just want to remind you not to lose all logic."

Jackson took a deep breath...and then attempted to relax. He wiped a hand down his face, wariness etched into his frame. "You're right. You're right." He sighed heavily. "I'm still putting more guards on the royal family."

"As you should."

"And Lizzie, you're getting your own."

Chloe gulped, but nodded.

"Okay." Jackson blinked a few times and leaned forward onto his desk. His fingers fiddled with a paperclip that had somehow separated from the collection. "Lizzie, do you have something you can do for a few hours? I'm not letting you out of my sight until I interview a few officers. So you'll have to hang out here for some time. Take a nap on the couch. I don't care."

"I can run up and grab a few things from your room if you like." Avery offered. She gave Jackson a pointed glance. "At least let me grab you some more comfortable clothes."