Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The number of messages on her phone made her want to throw the stupid device at the mirror. How could one phone handle so many incoming texts? Not just texts, but phone calls and voicemails and Musetunes updates? The smartphone should have exploded by now, right?

No wonder Ethan suggested she get a private phone separate from her regular one. There would be no way to tell what incoming information needed to be seen and what didn't.

She held it tightly in her palm, seriously considering running out back and chucking it into the palace pool so she could watch with satisfaction as the salt water destroyed the inner workings of the damn thing.

Just as the idea flew through her head, it buzzed against her skin. With a barely suppressed yell of frustration she yanked open her makeup drawer and shoved it in the back. Her anger didn't fade, even as she slammed the drawer shut.

Of the fifteen different sets of chambers in the royal palace of the Sarias kingdom, none of them had the appeal as the one she shared with the prince, Ethan. She'd moved in only four months ago. However, at this point she couldn't imagine being anywhere else. The set of rooms designed for the prince had originally been much different when she first arrived. But then Ms. Barbara, the palace head housekeeper, happened.

Ms. Barbara, upon learning Chloe would be staying with the prince, demanded she be able to redo the entire chamber. Ethan didn't give up much of a fight because he wanted Chloe comfortable and happy and if that's what would do it, then he was all for it. And Chloe, at the time intimidated by Ms. Barbara, didn't say anything. She'd been keeping the palace clean, organized, and decorated for the better part of 30 years. Chloe wasn't about to step on her toes.

The changes Ms. Barbara made weren't bad though. Actually, she quite liked the new bathroom and bedroom. She couldn't say much about the little sitting room they had. She never had time to sit in it anyway.

The bathroom had a warm, homey feel to it. The walls were a nice shade caught between a light orange and a yellow that brought out the heat from the swirling crystal chandeliers. Dark beige marble covered the floor and crawled up the shower walls in the back corner by the Jacuzzi tub. An electric fire place rested in the wall opposite the jacuzzi tub. She quite enjoyed that small fire place. It kept her bare feet warm.

The round copper bowls made to use as sinks stood against the wall. A set of mahogany cabinets topped by black granite held them up. The area could only be complete by a double set of mirrors. The mirrors themselves were specially made to incorporate both hers and Ethan's Acemarks in the frame.

The matching green spiraling Acemark on her wrist stood out in the mirror. At the moment it looked dark and nothing more than a tattoo. Yet it held so much more. The connection between Ethan and Chloe existed because of the mark.

Every Ace in Sarias had one of these marks, each unique to every individual. The mark served like a birthmark. Families often had a common theme running through their marks—for Chloe's family that would be the star. Her star sat in the middle of her forearm and had swirling designs curving on her skin that appeared to come out of the star.

Not everyone in Sarias believed in the idea of mates. A lot did though, and in Sarias a mate could only be found by singing. It was believed that when a child is born, they are born with an essence or spirit, something that makes them who they are and gives them their own individualistic qualities. This spirit recognizes who their other half is, their mate, by hearing their voice. Occasionally, when the connection is strong enough the individual's Acemark even glows when their other half sang. Chloe's did.