Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Pain. Immense pain. It reverberated through her every pore and she groaned.

"Lizzie?"

She tried to open her eyes--bright, too bright. It seared at her retinas before someone turned down the lights. Jackson's face peered down at her. "Lizzie." His eyes softened. "You're awake."

Ethan, she mouthed, unable to get the words past her bone-dry throat.

"He's here." Jackson said. "He's sleeping."

She tried moving her fingers, but sharp tingles shot up her arm, like she'd let her arm fall asleep. Her brother noticed her wince and called for Haven, the infirmary's main nurse.

"We had to air-lift you back to the palace once you were safe for movement." He gave her a pointed look. "We cut it real close."

Haven pushed aside the thin white curtain that closed off Chloe's bed and shot her a polite, yet relieved smile. "Good to see you awake. Lady Chloe, you gave us all quite a scare there."

Jackson brought her a glass of water and tilted it back for her to drink. The water was room temperature, which was perfect on her aching throat.

Haven set a delicate hand on Chloe's arm and closed her eyes. Last year, after the fiasco with Frank Leighton, Chloe'd had the chance to witness Haven's unique ability to sense others body conditions and seeing her use it again now was as cool as it was the first time. "Your vitals look good, all things considered, and your metabolism is the same. A bit of dehydration, but that can be fixed." She opened her eyes. "Lots of pain though." In response to that she reached into a drawer on the side table and pulled a needle from a sealed bag. Chloe watched as she stuck the needle into the IV tube next to her. "That should settle you for now, though it will make you tired. Call me when you start to feel the pain again."

Once Haven left, Chloe looked at her brother. "How bad?"

Jackson rubbed at his temples and laughed humorlessly. "Pretty bad. Your stomach is a mess--one of the bullets went through Ethan's intestines and--" He cut himself off and took a deep breath before continuing. "We rushed you straight into surgery."

She'd never seen her brother so...unhinged. He tried to hide it behind the laid back position he was in--leaning forward, elbows resting on his knees--yet he couldn't keep it from his voice.

"Jack, I'll be okay." She said softly.

The words broke him apart. He ran a hand over his face, his eyes glistening. "God, Lizzie, I thought we would lose you, and I couldn't do anything. This wasn't some monster I could fight. This was you. How am I supposed to battle something internal?"

"You don't." She said. "This one's my fight...now come here and hug me."

When Jackson pulled back, she asked, "How long have I been out?"

"A day." He replied as he sat down at the edge of the bed. Her hand grasped his tightly and she couldn't get herself to let go. "I sent Dad and everyone else to get some sleep and eat."

Her eyes traced the bags under his eyes. "And you? When's the last time you ate?"

"Half an hour ago." A new voice broke in. "I made him eat a bowl of soup." Avery placed a gentle hand on the Commander's shoulder. "Had to threaten the man for not letting me do my job, but..."

"Help me make sure he gets some sleep tonight?"

"I'm already on it," Avery grinned. "Got Haven to set up an extra cot next door." Because the only way Jackson would get some sleep was if he knew he could be close by.