Chapter 17 Part 1

Chapter 17 Part 1

One hour earlier. 8pm.

What Chloe liked best about nights were spending them with Ethan. Sometimes he had a lot of work to do, so he'd spread his work out on the coffee table and she'd sit on the couch and read or scribble down lyrics. Other nights, the two would watch a movie or do a puzzle. Tonight they decided on a movie. Something actiony--Ethan got to pick this time. Chloe didn't mind. It was actually a decent movie, but of course, the best part occurred at the end when the two love interests finally got together.

She enjoyed a good love story.

As the black and white end credits scrolled agonizingly slow off the screen, Ethan's arms tightened around her. They'd laid out on the couch, Chloe's back nestled close to his front. The warmth from his body was more than enough to keep her cozy, deliciously cozy. At the beginning of the movie, once they'd laid down, Ethan had settled a blanket around their legs to keep their feet warm. Now, that blanket had gotten tangled up and mostly forgotten.

His slow, steady breath whispered across the back of her neck. "So?" He asked, referring to the movie.

Chloe bit back a silly grin. He always wanted to make sure she enjoyed the movie as much as he did. "I'm going to be honest. The movie sucked."

She felt his whole frame tense up. "Really?" The barely hidden disappointment in his tone had her biting her lip to keep from laughing.

"Yeah. The cinematic universe has a lot to learn when it comes to action movies."

"Oh."

That was it. She couldn't take it anymore. With a tiny burst of laughter, she turned around, his front pressing close to hers. "I'm kidding."

He narrowed his eyes at her. "Not funny."

She tilted her head so it lined up with his. "I thought it was."

"Movies are not meant to be joked about." He replied, tracing a delicate finger along her cheek.

When they'd started the movie, they had dimmed the lights so an orange glow traced the walls. Now, that gentle light seemed to work in their favor. A part of her brain reminded her a guard stood in the doorway, but she chose to ignore it. If her whole romantic life depended on privacy, she and Ethan would never have a single moment. It would be something she'd have to get over eventually. Now felt like a wonderful time for that.

"I apologize." She said automatically. Thinking felt like too much work. She didn't want to have to think any longer. Instead, her eyes followed the line of his jaw, past the dark stubble, and onto his nose. He had a strong nose. She loved that.

Her fingers itched to smooth over his cheek, so she let them. The stubble prickled at her fingertips. It tickled, but the rest of his face was soft. Her thumb brushed his temple, right over his Acemark.

If she sang right now would it glow under her touch?

Ethan's breath caught and he stayed still, waiting. "You have the most beautiful eyes. So...expressive."

"Ethan." She whispered. He closed his eyes, leaning his face into her hand. She cupped his cheek, a slow melody falling from her lips. It wasn't much, just a random melody she'd worked on yesterday, with no words. And yet, that Acemark of interwoven lightning bolts filled with blue and shined.

She laughed, a disbelieving laugh. She could tell herself a million times over and over that this man was her soul mate, her destiny, but until there were times like these--where her insides sparked and glowed, when his Acemark shined at her voice--that she knew. Really, truly knew. "You're perfect."