Chapter 32

(Romeo POV)

We pull through large gates and up to a mansion. It was overly extravagant, more than any person could ever need and more. It was all show, a show of power and money. I had never understood the need for people to show off how much money they had, but perhaps that was because I had none. I preferred things that were functional, anything more was just wasteful.

And this man was extremely wasteful. We climbed out of the van after parking, walking through the door into the mansion, which was even more outrageous than the outside. The place felt cold and sterile and I knew right away that this couldn't be a real home to anyone. Maybe a monster hiding as man, prancing about this place like he was ruler of the world. That's what I expected to see from the conniving man that I was about to face, and it was exactly what I got.

He may not have been prancing physically, but on the inside, I could tell that he thought he was all that. His expression was welcoming with a hint of the sharp blade of his real personality, giving away just enough to show he was dangerous, without scaring people away. I wasn't fooled by what he showed on the outside. I knew a monster when I saw one and though he may not be the same kind as my father, that was still what he was.

"Welcome to my humble home," Mr. Vladimir said, spreading his arms open in a welcoming gesture. It was funny that his first words to me would be a contradiction to what I knew to be true about him. "So you're the man who saved our beautiful Talia, whom I see has joined us today," He continued, tossing a sharp look at Luka. He hadn't wanted Talia to come, probably knowing that she wasn't going to let him force me into anything I didn't really want. I didn't need Talia's help on this one though, I knew not to get into business with a monster. I had learned that lesson with my father, even if it hadn't been my choice. "Please, have a seat." Mr. Vladimir gestured to his couches.

I didn't really want to sit down, but everyone else did, so I followed suit, sitting near Talia.

"Chris Kale. You're a very talented man, saving Talia from harm's way. And of course all those years of working with your father," Mr. Vladimir grinned evilly, complimenting me before doing a backhanded insult to keep me from becoming angry. He was underhanded and cruel, doing whatever he wanted. He didn't worry about the consequences because he had the resources to protect himself.

This wasn't going to be easy, but I had to stand up for myself.

I set the computer on the table, which was still sealed in the box and slid it towards him.

He barely even glanced at the box. "That was my gift for you," Mr. Vladimir said, his smile guarded as he paused at the word gift. It wasn't a long pause, just enough for me to catch, because I was paying close attention. I had made a move and now he knew I wasn't going to be paid off easily like he'd hoped.

I typed into the phone, letting it speak for me. "I'm not interested in your gifts."

Mr. Vladimir raised an eyebrow, eyeing the phone in my hand, taking in the fact that I couldn't speak. There was a spark in his expression of surprise. Apparently he wasn't as powerful of a man as he thought if he wasn't aware of my impairment. He was quick witted, recovering quickly. "You know there's surgeries that work miracles for those who can't speak." I could see it, the wheels turning in his mind as he plotted. "To do that, you'll need money. Money that I can give you. I just need you to do one simple job. I'm sure with a man of your talent that it was be easy for you to accomplish."

"I'm not interested," I typed into the phone.

He pulled back slightly, giving me an appraising look. He was looking for another angle. "I see," He said, bringing his fingers up to fiddle with his mustache. It was a unconscious power move. I was wrong, he already had something planned. "I'd like to speak with this man alone, perhaps you can show Talia to the gardens?" Mr. Vladimir said to Luka. If he was trying to get him alone, then that was a sign that what he had planned was even worse than I'd thought.

"I'd rather she stay," I typed into the phone. I held onto the hope that he wouldn't pull whatever was up his sleeve.

"Very well," Mr. Vladimir said. "A business associate of mine is in need of this, so I am inclined to help them out. I need a good hacker to do the job and I don't want to look elsewhere. It must be flawless and with the knowledge that you're a more talented hack than Talia is, then that leaves me with only one choice and I will do anything needed to get this done," Mr. Vladimir said, emphasizing on the word needed. It wasn't that he was needy or desperate, he was hinting at the power he had and that he would do any means necessary to get it done. "We all know of Talia's endeavors with those thugs last week," Mr. Vladimir paused, shrugging his shoulders. "I'd hate for that information to be leaked."

"You're blackmailing us?" Talia snapped, her eyes filling with fire.

"Of course not, just him," Mr. Vladimir said, his evil smile appearing. There it was, what he had up his sleeve. It didn't take a genius to see how much I cared for Talia, I shouldn't be surprised that he would use her against me, especially with the leverage he had.

"He's not doing it. Leak the information if you want," Talia said, squaring her shoulders. She was protecting me, but it would only hurt her more than it would me. I couldn't let her do this if there was an easier way out, even if it was giving in to what he had to say.

"What is the job?" I typed into my phone, I could see Talia's eyes widen and hear her intake of breath.

"No, you don't have to do this," Talia lowered her voice, touching the back of my hand. I didn't look at her, just looked at the monster in front of me that I was facing. It was like a fairy tale story where the prince has to save the princess from the fire breathing dragon. Only instead of swords, I was fighting with my mind and fingers.

"It's very simple, just hacking into a security system and looking for a few people," Mr. Vladimir said as he stood, gesturing to one of the many guards around. He took a file from them and set it on the coffee table.

Talia grabbed the file, looking over it quickly. "Why would you want to look in here?"

"It's not my dear, it's my business associate. Details aren't of interest to me." He waved his hand, like he was shooing away her question before looking back at me. "Of course, I will give you one hundred thousand dollars to do this and all of those details of Talia's past will disappear."

"One hundred grand is nothing for a job like this," Talia said.

"I think your life is worth something, especially to the man who has so much affection for you," Mr. Vladimir says with a smile.

I started typing into my phone that I would do it, but didn't get to press for it to say the words out loud before Talia's hand was on mine, stopping me. I could see in her eyes that she didn't want me to do this, but I also knew that she could see in mine that I had to. I saw her grit her teeth and turn to Mr. Vladimir.

"500 thousand dollars, everything that happened with the kidnappers gets burned for good, and you never bother Either of us again," Talia stated her demands.

I glanced at Luka, then quickly typed into the phone, adding more to the deal. "And you'll release Luka from the deal you have him under. His debt with be paid in full."

"You two think you're in the position to make a deal?" Mr. Vlad said, his eyes dark.

"I always am. If you need a hacker like him, you're going to have to pay the price," Talia said, looking stoic as she waiting for him to agree or decline.

"Make it two hundred thousand and you have a deal," Mr. Vladimir ground out.

"500 thousand or you can find someone else. I'm not bothered with facing my fate," Talia said.

Mr. Vladimir glanced between me and her, then smiled broadly, like the devil who had just found another innocent soul to destroy. "Deal."