Chapter 6

(Talia's POV)

Today just seems full of surprises.

First with Brad.

Then with a singing telegram from Romeo.

But the biggest surprise came after I got out of the shower and came in the form of yet another knock on my door.

Was I a popular girl today or what?

After a quick peek through the peephole on the door to make sure I didn't need my gun, I opened the door with a confused smile on my face. "Java?"

"Ah hell no, did you seriously answer the door looking like that?" Java sighed, her hand resting on her hip and she skimmed up and down my body with a frown and a shake of her head.

The one thing you could always count on about Java was that she was always chewing gum, in fact I couldn't remember a time where I hadn't seen her chewing gum, even now as she chewed and popping it, peppermint scent filling the air around the doorway.

I rolled my eyes and stepped back so she could come inside. Java was an old friend from my past. A past I was trying to get away from and forget about but she was still a friend.

"What are you doing here Java?"

"I have a job for you and before you say no, it pays well and doesn't consist of stealing anything," Java strode into my apartment, giving my apartment a look of disapproval.

"Does it consist of helping someone steal something?" I asked. Knowing Java, she would reword the job to make it seem more appealing to me, then reveal certain important details later on knowing I wouldn't take the job if I had known in the first place.

"Hun, I can't even talk to you when you look like that," She said, motioning towards my tank top and sweatpants. "I guess I can't complain too much, at least you showered. Come on, let me fix you up while we talk about it." Java strode into my bedroom and immediately starting picking through my make up.

Java was a lot like Kim in the way of always having makeup on and making sure she looked perfect, though they were very far apart as to why they did it. Kim grew up rich and having to look good for the public and the men. Java on the other hand, dressed up as a scheme to thieve, making sure her black hair was perfectly styled for whatever she was wearing and her dark skin perfect.

How did I always get drug into their makeovers?

Here we go again.

"Some billionaire is having trouble with people hacking into their security system, he's contacted the police and all the cops were as dirty as a dog sprayed by a skunk and wouldn't do a damn thing. He was looking for a hacker who wouldn't help the thieves and also wouldn't go running to the police the first time things get a little rough," Java talked while she applied makeup to my face and I watched her face closely, trying to figure out how much of this was the truth. "I immediately thought of you of course."

"Of course you did. What's the catch?"

"No catch, it's a simple job. You just go in, do some hacking, track them down and that's it," Java said, finishing up with my makeup and hair, heading to my closet. "Of course these men are dangerous, so he also hired a private detective to work with you."

Why was Java helping the billionaire? I could only imagine this being a little piece of a much larger puzzle that would only lead to her stealing something from someone. Working with a private detective could only lead to disaster. Standing, I leaned against my dresser. "Who?"

Java stayed silent, pulling out several pieces of clothes and tossing them on the bed. "You'll want to look hot. Men always focus on you more when you look fab, trust me."