Chapter 9

(Talia's POV)

I couldn't help the smile that was plastered on my face as Luka drove through traffic. I was kind of disappointed in Luka, I would have thought that the guy I had spent years hiding and running from would be more. More smart. More devious. More challenging.

Before he seemed like a demon to me, much like the boogie man that children were afraid of, a monster under their bed they were always scared of popping up and attacking them.

Now that I met him, worked with him, he didn't seem so scary.

It didn't mean that I trusted the guy, I just didn't see him as too much of a threat anymore. I didn't have to try to outsmart the guy, it just seemed to come naturally to me. Granted he was stronger than me physically, but brains have always prevailed in any of the situations I've been in, so I wasn't going to worry when my eyes drifted closed behind my Victoria Beckham sunglasses as I stifled a yawn.

The coffee I had drank earlier had long since wore off, leaving me drowsy and sleepy.

And ravishing hungry.

My stomach grumbled, begging for some kind of substance. I stiffened, wondering if Luka had heard my stomach calling for food. Weren't guys always whining and begging for food? How was he holding off from getting food?

"Let's get some food Mr. Muscles," I spoke, shifting in my seat.

"No time." Luka growled, his hands tightening on the steering wheel, which I'm sure he was imagining as my neck right about now. I did feel sorry for him a little. Like a molecule sized bit. He hadn't successfully did anything for this job except driving us around. How pitiful was that? It must be stripping him from his manhood right about now.

"There's an I-Hop right up the road, we'll stop there," I stated with a nod. I could use a big plate of pancakes right about now, piled high with blueberries and whipped cream, the perfect brain food.

"Not stopping," He said, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Yes we are, even monkeys have to eat. I need food, you need food, so we're going to stop and get some food. Look at your performance this morning, you need the fuel, maybe then you'll be able to catch the guy next time."

"Shut the hell up," Luka said, taking his eyes off the road long enough to give me a long glare that I'm sure would have incinerated me on the spot if he hadn't already given me the same look a million times before. I was immune now.

I shrugged and looked out the window, pretending not to really care until I thought of a way to force him to stop. It's not like we had ate anything all night last night or this morning, getting food was a reasonable thing. I pulled out my phone and checked it for the first time in at least 12 hours. I probably should have checked it more often.

22 missed calls and 10 text messages.

All from Kim.

Oops.

Kim- Girl where are you? We need to talk ASAP! I have so much to tell you about the other night!

Kim- Call me!

Kim- Charge your phone and call me!

Kim- You better not be spending all this time on your computer..

Kim- Tal?

Kim- Hello? Are you OK?

Kim- Getting worried here girl!

Kim- Tal, seriously. You better not be dead!

Kim- OK, I'm going over to your apartment. You better be there.