Family Time

A/N: This fan fiction is based off of Lizzie's (@WishinIWasR5 on Twitter) idea. She came up with the plot, characters, cover, and title. Just wanted to put that out there. 

*Riker’s POV*

“Mom, why do you need an intern here now?”

“Yeah, Mom. I think it’s just fine with the five of us here, don’t you think? ”

My mom is the fashion designer Stormie Lynch, owner of Stormie Styles. She just told us about her hiring an intern. Ross and Ryland do not like this idea.

“First off, you don’t work at the company. Rydel is the only one. And this is not up for discussion; it’s just a heads up.”

“But Mom,” Ross complains.

“I said it’s not up for discussion! I’m getting an intern and that’s that.”

Ryland and Ross say something under their breath as they come to sit next to me and Rocky at the dinner table. I don’t see why we need one since we don’t eat here; we eat at the bar or in the kitchen or in the woods. My dad, Mark, says we can’t risk getting blood on the table. We need to look as normal as possible incase people come over. This is also why the pantry has a ton of untouched food in it.

If this sounds confusing, let me explain. My parents, my siblings, and I are vampires. That’s why we don’t eat on the table and why the pantry has all of that food in it, incase people come over. No one has come over. Ever. It’s kind of hard to meet people when you’re a vampire.

We used to be homeschooled, but we started to get cabin fever. Rydel started acting crazy, Rocky and Ross got into a lot of fights with each other, and Ryland became somewhat violent. I became tired of seeing the same people everyday, which caused me to start yelling at the family.

As a result of cabin fever, we were enrolled in school. Rocky, Ross, and Ryland go to high school, while Rydel and I are in college. So we are among other people, but we still don’t have any friends. We’re the weird kids at school. Apparently, hanging our your siblings at lunch, not really eating lunch, and not making much eye contact or touching others qualifies for being weird. We do try; some of us do extra curricular activities to socialize

The only real friends we do have are Ellington Ratliff and his parents, who are in addition vampires.  

We’re drinking our breakfast blood when a book comes down the stairs followed by a “Take that stupid book!”  Rocky and I shake our heads. Rydel joined a book club and was reading the Twilight novels. She hated them. According to her, the made people get false information about vampires.   

“Gosh, I hate these books,” she says angrily.

“What was wrong with this one,” I ask

“Everything! The main thing would have to be the vampires sparkling,” she pauses to sit down with us, “I mean we don’t sparkle. How about Alice in this one? If she can see the future, then why couldn’t see that Bella was still alive before she told Edward she died?”

“Anything else?”

“Don’t get me started on Jasper almost killing Bella because she had gotten a paper cut.”

“Hey! Not everyone has the control that you all have around humans,” says Ryland.

With him being the youngest of us, he doesn’t have the same restraint for human blood that the rest of us do. I think out of us siblings; either me or Rydel have the best control over being around human blood.

“Anyways, what did I miss?” Rydel asks

“Mom’s getting a new intern,” Ross answers.

“Ooh that sounds like a good idea!”

Ross rolls his eyes. I don’t see the big deal about it. Mom could use the extra help. And the new intern could use the credits and experience. It’s a win-win situation.

“Come on, let’s get to school or we’ll be late.” Rocky, Ryland, and Ross leave.

“We’d better get going too,” I tell Rydel.

“Okay, let’s go then.” We go outside. “Hey, can you wait? I just want to...”

“No, you may not destroy that book,” I say

“It’ll be really quick. I can get a match and there, it’s burned.”

“Nope.” I grab the book from her. “Now let’s go.”

"But it's stupid."

"Yeah, and so is burning a book you don't like. You didn't have to join book club you know."

"Of course I know," she says with a bit of an edge to her voice. "It's called being social which you should try."

"Wow, you're so cheery today. Wish you were like this everyday, Rydel."

"Sorry, it's this book..."

"Yeah yeah, it's stupid. Let's go!"

We both get in the car and head to University of Manchester, the college we go to.