Go Socialize!

*Riker’s POV*

My brothers and I are heading to Mom’s office to pick her up since Dad is working late today. When we get to the floor she works on, there is a girl waiting for the elevator. She’s not paying attention to us so Rocky says ‘excuse me’. That captures her attention.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” I hold the elevator for her and she goes inside. She thanks me before the door closes.

“Dude,” Ross says “did you see that girl? She’s a babe.”

I only got a brief glimpse of her, so I don’t remember what she looks like too much. I remember she was an average height and she had brown hair but that’s all I remember.

“Yeah she was pretty,” Rocky agrees.

“Don’t you have a girlfriend,” Ross asks

“Who knows, Rocky could just be making it up,” I tease.

“I’m not making it up guys.”

“Then why haven’t we met her?”

“Because not everyone has to introduce their girlfriend to their family right away. We’ve only been going out for a month and a half anyway so it’s too soon right now. Especially being what we are.”

Rocky is probably right. It’s better to know for sure we can trust the person before we tell them that we are vampires, for safety reasons.

One time I had a girlfriend named Tessa. After 5 months of being with her, I told her I was a vampire and she told her friends about it. Eventually the news got word of it. Even though Tessa did look extremely crazy, we were harassed and received death threats. Mom and Dad moved the family and we went into hiding. Our lesson was learned there.

“Can we at least know her name?” I ask.

“Will it get you two stop bothering me about it?”

Ross and I nod and he tells us. “Her name is Elizabeth. There, you have her name.”

“See that wasn’t so hard.”

“Whatever.”

We wave hello to Kerri, Mom’s receptionist and ask her if we can go in to see her. When we get the okay to go, we go inside. She’s talking on the phone so we sit down and wait for the call to be over. Once she’s done I ask “Are you ready to go?”

“Hurry up Mom, we’re hungry!” Ross complains.

“I said to hold on!” Mom puts some files in her desk and turns the computer off before she’s finally ready to go. “Okay, let’s go.”

We don’t say anything to each other until we get inside my car. “So, how everyone’s day,” Mom asks.

Rocky speaks up first. “Well I joined a music class in school today. I’ll be learning how to play the guitar.”

“That sounds exciting! What about you Ross?”

“Nothing, really. I drew something in art class and the teacher thought it was amazing for my ‘age’. Too bad he doesn’t know I’ve had decades of practice,” Ross says with a laugh.

“And you Riker?”

“Nothing happened.”

“Really, nothing somewhat exciting happened,” Rocky says, slightly pushing me a bit.

“Watch it! I’m driving here. And yes, nothing happened.”

“I think you need some friends,” Ross suggests.

“He’s right honey,” Mom agrees. “Hey, Rydel is going to Chili’s today with her book club. Why don’t you go with her?”

“Come on Mom, do I have to?”

“If Rydel says no, then you don’t have to go. But she’ll probably say yes.”

“Mom, it’ll be all girls.”

“Dude,” Ross chirps in, “that is the best thing ever! You will be surrounded by girls, which means at least one of them will be into you. And then you’ll get a girlfriend or at least someone to talk to.”

“Fine, I’ll ask Rydel. But she’ll probably say no.”

xxx

Rydel is already at home when we get there so I ask her if I can come with her.

“Sure, you can come,” Rydel says.

“What?!”

“You asked me if you wanted to come to my book club meet-up at Chili’s and I said ‘yes’.”

“I was kind of hoping you’d say no.”

Rydel looks at me like I’m crazy “Why would you ask if you didn’t want to go?”

“I told Mom I would ask you,” I say. “You know me, always doing what Mom says.”

“Well you don’t have to come then.”

“No, I’ll come!”

Rydel sighs “Do you want to come or not?”

I think about it for a second and say “Yes, I want to come.”

“Alright then. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get ready.”