The Unsung War

............................... Oh my god.  It’s the final battle.  It’s incredible.  Please enjoy! :)

Quote of the Chapter:

“Never was so much owed by so many to so few.”

~Sir Winston Churchill

_______________________________________________

Chapter 32: The Unsung War

December 31, 2010, 0130 hours…

Blaze

While we neared Oured, Pops came on, asking us if we needed anything when we landed.  The four of us immediately started naming things and he had to stop us because he couldn’t understand a word we were saying.  I think at one point Grimm might have said he wanted Megan Fox…

“One at a time,” Pops ordered with a chuckle. “Blaze, you first.”

“Blankets, pillows, and a bathroom.  I need to pee like a plane going Mach Two… and then sleep because I cannot believe I just said that out loud,” I muttered.

Everyone started laughing and then Nagase said she wanted food, water, and a toilet.  Grimm said he wanted Cassie, food, and once again, a toilet.  Snow’s request consisted of only a toilet.  It was quickly decided that they were going to need a lot of port-a-potties.  I tried to convince them to get me a pink one but Pops told me they didn’t exist.  Dang it…

We were ordered to land on Erasmus Bridge.  It was an architectural pride in Oured.  It was pretty cool but landing without hitting those cables was a pain, or at least when you’re almost a literal version of a walking zombie.  When all four of us were landed, people immediately went to our planes and started doing maintenance and restocking our weapons.  Pops, Genette, Cassie, Andersen, and Geller were there waiting for us but when Nagase and I screamed, it wasn’t because they were there.  It was because we saw four port-a-potties… my scream was louder because believe it or not, there was a pink one.  Nagase and I looked at each other before bolting to it.  Thank God I reached it first!  I laughed evilly as I heard her curse at her slowness.  I knew Nagase was tired if she was cussing since she never cussed.

When I walked out, Genette was grinning at me; he looked beyond tired but happy nonetheless to see me.  I charged him and he swung me up in a hug.  I don’t think I had ever been so happy to see my brother.  Of course, I winced at the sight of the bruise on his cheek but I don’t think he saw.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Surprisingly, yes.  Flying through that tunnel wasn’t so bad,” I admitted. “I was expecting it to be a lot worse, a lot smaller.”

Genette snorted. “You’re psychotic.”

“I know,” I chirped. He rolled his eyes.

“We got some blankets and pillows.  We went to the president’s house to get them.  They gave us practically all available blankets and sheets.  Unfortunately we couldn’t get cots but we layered the sheets on top of each other and I got to say, it’s really comfy.  You’ll have to share it with Nagase, Snow, Grimm, Cassie, and me.  Cassie and I haven’t slept since y’all left.”

“Let’s go get some sleep then,” I said; I gave Pops, Geller, and Andersen a hug before my brother and I walked over to the makeshift bed; Cassie was already there, cuddling with a pillow.

“Hey, Blaze,” she mumbled.

“Hey, Cas,” I replied, crawling in next to her.  I plopped down in exhaustion.  I fell asleep almost immediately, only semi-waking up to feel Nagase and Snow and Grimm getting into the makeshift bed.  After that, I was asleep.