Liberation of a Demon

Enjoy

Quote of the Chapter:

“Love is like war: easy to begin but hard to end.”

~Unknown 

_____________________________________________

Liberation of a Demon

Blaze

I stared at Bailey for a few seconds, taking in the annoying fact that she was here and alive.  Deciding that I might as well piss her off, I said, “Shouldn’t you be buried under tons and tons of rock… dead?  With your beloved Hamilton?”

She glowered murderously at me. “No.  I didn’t fly with him that day.”

“What a shame…” I muttered.  She slapped me good and hard across the face.  I clenched my jaw to prevent myself from letting out a cry.  Easier said than done but there was no way in hell I was letting her have the satisfaction of knowing she hurt me.

“Bailey, you said you could shed some light on whom she is,” Rald said impatiently.

“Yes, of course.  So, Elizabeth,” Bailey snarled venomously, “would you like to tell them or would you like me?”

I stayed silent, giving her a bored stare.

“Just spit it out!” Rald ordered.

She grinned. “Her callsign is Blaze.  She was a nugget for Captain Bartlett until he was shot down.  She became temporary captain for two missions and after the fourth one, she was made captain.  She is the reason we started to lose, why Yuktobania started to lose, why we had to go out of our way to make sure she died.”

“So she knocks on deaths door a lot?” Viktor asked for conformation.

“And then I run away, or in my case fly, as fast I can.  He’s getting pissed,” I chirped.

“Shut up,” Bailey snapped, punching me on the side of my head.  I had a very strong, sneaking suspicion that she was enjoying beating me up to an unhealthy level…

“Hang on… Blaze.  Blaze was what the Razgriz always called their-” Otto began.

“Captain,” Viktor finished.

“You’re the captain?” Rald demanded seriously, looking at me.

With a cocky smirk, I said nonchalantly, “You caught me!”

Rald, for the first time, looked somewhat surprised. “I always did have good luck getting what I wanted.  See, the reason I wanted to kidnap an Osean official was to find you, but what do you know?  I hardly had to try.”

“Good luck getting information out of me.  You probably chose one of the most stubborn people in Osea,” I told them.

“Is that so?  And why do you say that?”

“I refused to let your guys shoot me down didn’t I?” I winked at him. “And they were aces against a nugget like me.  That doesn’t say much for your pilots now does it?  I think they are losing their touch.”

“Our air force is the mightiest in the world!” Rald barked. “You were lucky!”

“I don’t call it lucky being ambushed by thirty planes and shooting them all down and living to tell the tale.  I call it skill.  I’m not one to brag about my flying.  In fact, I don’t like to talk about it at all, but in this case, I would love to rub it in your face that three planes that weren’t considered aces shot down thirty planes of the mighty Belkan Air Force because I know how much it pisses you off.”