We'll Find a Way

"Now look who's green with envy?" Zelena spoke with a devious smile stretching across her face. Realization dawned on her as Regina looked from Zelena to the baby then back to Robin. I can't have children, she thought to herself. Robin will never have that loving, protective, fatherly gaze to any child of mine. Tears burned in her eyes as she left the room. She couldn't be vulnerable especially in front of her sister, knowing that would only make Zelena victorious in destroying her happy ending. She felt a tear slip through and roll down her cheek but she quickly wiped it away.

She walked down the hospital hallway and was stopped by Snow "Regina?" Snow questioned her face full of concern. "Everything okay?" and she clenched Regina's bicep holding her in her place. She heard Robin holler from down the hallway.

"Regina wait!" he yelled and the world spun around her. She did the only thing she could do and in an instant she appeared back in her mansion. Regina walked up the length of the steps to her bedroom and crawled underneath the blankets, crying to herself. She buried her face in the pillow and let sorrow consume her. How could she be so stupid? Every time she gets the taste of happiness it gets ripped away from her. She was upset and confused and angry. There her sister was sitting in the hospital with her soulmates baby. She had something Regina wanted but could never have.

Although Regina loved Henry with her heart, he couldn't fill the void of having her own child. One made from the love shared between her and her soulmate. Images flashed through her head of a baby shower and Robin kissing her stomach. Naming the child. Watching Robin look that special way at her child. The 'glowing' feeling a mother-to-be gets when they have a child growing inside them. It was something she yearned to experience but something she never could.

She was pulled from her thoughts by hands resting on her shoulders. "Oh my goodness! Robin you scared me." She quickly wiped away her tears and tried to look somewhat normal, but failed utterly. He knows her too well to see when something is upsetting her. She can't put on the mask that she puts on for everyone else. The mask of strength and non-vulnerability. To Robin that mask is as clear as glass, he's sees through it to the real Regina. The although strong, weak Regina, the Regina he loves.

"Regina, love, what's the matter?" He was behind her and so she turned her head in a slightly uncomfortable positing to look in his direction "I'm fine, really." She said trying to reassure him while plastering a fake smile on her face.

"Regina." He chastised her, "I happen to know you rather well, which means I know when your lying, and you are definitely lying right now. C'mon what's the matter?" He strokes his hand up the length of her upper arm and shoulder and she had to admit it soothed her. It's as if when they touched he took away the stress and the pain. "Is it because of the baby? I'm sorry Regina I really am." And he looked at her with sorrow in his eyes, afraid he'd hurt her.

"No Robin, it's your child and I can't blame you for being happy to see it." She reassured him and turned her hole body to face him. She cupped his cheek in her hand and enjoyed his ruff stubble tickling her palm.

"Then what's the matter?"

She sighed and contemplated whether or not she should tell him. She knew she should, it was something he deserved to know, but it was a conversation she was not looking forward to. She sat up and criss-crossed her legs and turned her whole body so she could look at him in the eyes, even though that was the opposite of what she wanted. She wanted to look away but she couldn't resist the lure of their icy blue color.

She huffed once more and ran her hands through her hair as she began the sad story that would change their entire future together. "Back when I was the" And she stopped hating to say the 'E' word because it brought back pain and sorrow that she didn't want to have to relive. "Evil Queen" he grimaced at her choice of words but allowed her to continue "I remember the moment like it was yesterday, it was the anniversary of Daniels death."

He broke in and questioned her, "Daniel? The stable boy you were to marry?"

She nodded her head and continued, "My mother showed up and claimed that she wanted to help me find love, true love. I didn't trust her of course so I said she needed to prove herself. She disappeared looking for the man who was to be my soulmate, the man with the lion tattoo." He smiled knowing who she was talking about and she continued, replaying the memory in her head as she spoke. "Well I was in my castle when she brought him to me." He tilted his head puzzled because he never remembered setting foot in the queens castle, for him and his men feared the dark towers too much to venture inside. "I found out that he was a fake, which then lead me to find out my mothers true motives. She wanted me to have a child." She stated it bluntly and clearly her voice growing stern as the anger towards her mother built up in her chest.

"She wanted to later use the child to control the throne." Robins jaw clenched as he thought about a mother worming her way in to getting her daughter pregnant, then disposing of her and using the child to her advantage. "Well I obviously wasn't going to let that happen" she gulped down the lump in her throat and looked down, now trying to avoid his icy gaze. She started to tear up and her voice cracked as she spoke "I wasn't gonna let her control my child like she did me. So– so I drank a– a –potion–"

"No Regina you didn't?" He questioned his voice full of concern and compassion. He placed his hand gently over hers letting her know he was there for her and that he wouldn't be upset.

"It was an– an infertility potion." And she paused and took a deep breath. "I– I can't have children!" And she burst in to tears collapsing in to his chest. She sobbed soaking his shirt with her tears. He ran his fingers through her hair knowing that there was nothing he could do to take away this pain from her. Once she had released a large amount of tears she pulled back from his embrace  "and now I can never have a child with you. You and Zelena are connected in a way we can never be!"

He didn't know what to say and he wished there was a way he could help but there was nothing he could do. "I want to have a family with you Robin!" She yelled "and I love Roland and Henry but I want to share something with you." She looked again and nervously played with her finger nails "I want us to be tied together like that and because of my stupidity and anger, we never will be."

"You– you wanted to he a child with me?" He questioned in shock. Every time he brought up children be it about a child running through the park or his and Zelenas baby she always got jittery and tried to change the subject and now he knew why. He thought it was cause she didn't want children but now that he knew she did he couldn't be happier.

"Yes I do." She states still looking down ashamed of her past actions.

He placed his hand below her chin and lifted it up so she was forced to look at him, "Regina if you want a baby we'll find a way." And their lips met, their bodies wrapped in a passionate embrace and he pulled back. They leaned their foreheads against each other and she flickered her eyes up to his blue ones. He smiled and gazed back at her with the same love he saw reflected at him "I promise we will find a way."

A/N: Yay my first One-Shot! Tell me what you guys thought of it below please! And feel free to leave prompts down there as well. (And no this doesn't mean I'm slowing down on the writing of Regal Arts.)

Basically this one-shot was what I wish would have happened after the baby was born. Don't get me wrong I loved what they did after the baby being born but wouldn't this have been so OQ feels packed?

Photo Creds: @/lanasassilla, @/outlaw.queen.lovers, and @/onceuponatime_scenes all on instagram. (I basically just collaged them all together cause I couldn't decide which depressing photo to use lol 😂