Chapter 27

Annoying Pinspiration Quote #27

"If you're going through hell, keep going."

"I didn't look."

I tore my gaze away from the picturesque landscape rushing past the car window to look at Cody in the driver's seat. "What's that?"

It was really the first exchange we'd had all morning; I'd awoken from my heavy sleep feeling empty but clear. I wouldn't have said I was happier, but the huge weepy breakdown had reset me and I was ready to face another day. Cody and I had met in the lounge room of the massive house before eight, already dressed and good to go, barely saying a word as we headed for the car to go back to the hospital.

Now, as we zipped along the gorgeous coastal road, he shot me a glance quickly before turning his attention on the unfamiliar right-hand side driving. "Last night. In the shower. The lights were off, I didn't really see anything, I just covered you up with a towel and put you in bed and gave you my shirt-"

"Cody, it's fine." I'd awoken in his tee, wondering vaguely when that had happened but not too perturbed.

"I just thought you should know. I wasn't trying to invade your privacy."

"I know that. Honestly, it doesn't matter." Cody seeing me nude was only a blip on the radar of my existence, which was now continuously pinging with bigger problems. Sure, once upon a time I would have been mortified to have been seen by my crush in my birthday suit under less than flattering conditions, but that wasn't the girl I was anymore. I waved an uncaring wrist. "You've seen me in a bikini before, and I'm sure I don't have anything you haven't seen before on other women."

He nodded slowly, then gave me a half-grin. "I have to say, I never imagined the first time I'd have you in my arms naked would go quite like that."

"Cody..." There was such a fragile truce stretching between us, and I still wasn't ready to broach anything – not even in jest.

"Sorry," he quickly repented. "I was just trying to be funny like he is, but it's not really my thing."

Rupert. Although I was calmer, the ache in my chest hadn't eased. It probably wouldn't until we knew for certain what his fate would be. It was like walking around with a guillotine dangling over my head; I couldn't imagine how much worse it would be for Jade and his parents.

Trying not to sound ungrateful, I replied, "I don't need you to be funny. The fact you're here is enough."

We rode the rest of the way in silence.

***

Inside the hospital room, things were grim. I picked at the muffin Cody had bought for me, thankful for the sensation of the sticky dough in my stomach to ground me as the tension in the atmosphere threatened to sweep me away.

"We're going to try and rouse him chemically," said Dr Owens. "If this works, I must warn you that sometimes people can react... badly. There may be yelling or he might sound like he is in distress. Don't be concerned if he doesn't sound or act like the Rupert you know - slurred words or nonsensical statements might be a side-effect of the drugs, and not necessarily an indicator of brain damage."

"It's Rupert - we should expect nonsense no matter what," I said, squeezing Jade's hand gently.

Her brow was lowered in concern, and the pallor of exhaustion had drawn her face tight over her cheekbones. On anyone else, it would look ghoulish, but with Jade's face, she seemed somehow all the more beautiful. "How long will it take?"