Chapter One

How in the world was I possibly going to pick who I was going to help? I could be a very helpful person, but I did have my limits. After what had happened a few months ago, there were things that I could never do no matter how much you paid me. I didn’t know any of these men and I didn’t know their backgrounds. Who knew if they had a criminal past or of they were violent or-

Geez, it almost made it sound like I was picking a husband.

Looking at each man in turn, I remembered the little tidbits Uncle told me. Each one of them sounded decent (except maybe Yamato, he sounded like an ass), but then I also remembered something Uncle had said before all this.

That’s what meeting by chance is all about

Meeting by chance… well then maybe.

            “I pick Yamato,” I said, looking at Uncle.

            “Obvious choice,” Yamato snorted. Even though he needed my help, he didn’t sound the least bit grateful that I had picked him. And while he was acting cocky, the other four were visibly disappointed.

            “I can’t believe you’d pick Yamato over me,” Saeki said, almost on the verge of tears.

            “No way!” Yuta yelled, “Don’t make a rash decision, Lorien,”

            “It’s too bad,” Takao looked away, “I wanted you to pick me,”

            “Think it over…” Ren looked at me.

            “Say what you want,” Yamato said loudly, “but her decision is made,”

            “So,” I spoke up, “What is it that he needs my help with?”

The entire atmosphere of the bar changed instantly. Everyone grew quiet, some looked away and others coughed.

            “When was my deadline for the next drama series?” Saeki said, trying to change the subject.

            “Lorien,” Takao sighed, “there are some things in life that are unreasonable,”

            “Good luck,” Ren smiled.

            “What are you guys talking about? Can’t you just tell me?”

What the hell kind of favor was I doing for Yamato? Why wasn’t anyone telling me anything! Seeing that I was starting to get nervous, Yamato came over and slapped me hard on the back.

            “Ow! That hurt!”

            “There’s no need to worry about the details. I just need you to accept what I’m gonna ask you,”

            “Then what is it?”

            “Hey, isn’t it time!” Yuta yelled loudly, drowning out my voice, “Kuni, turn on the TV!”

Smiling a bit, Uncle turned on the TV with the remote he hid behind the bar. On the screen showed today’s baseball game.

            “Oh, it started already! It’s Ichiro’s turn at bat, too!”

            “We forgot about it because of all the talk about his unnecessary request,” Saeki said as he turned his attention to the TV.

            “If my request unnecessary?” Yamato glared at him.

            “I wonder how far Japan will go this year,” Uncle said, leaning against the bar.