Chapter Eight

Yuri’s words kept playing over and over in my mind to the point where I started to feel sick. She was right about the mole, so did that mean that they really had a relationship? I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I looked away.

            “How long are you gonna stare?” Yamato rolled his eyes, “you perv,”

            “What?” I looked back at him.

            “You want me to take my pants off too?” he smirked at me.

            “No!” I shook my head, now feeling the tears falling down my face.

            “Hey,” he noticed right away, “are you ok?”

            “I’m just not feeling well is all,” I quickly wiped them away, “I’ll go get dinner ready,”

            “Pouty?”

I ran out of the bedroom as he called out to me. I leaned against the door and allowed the tears to fall. If they weren’t in a sexual relationship, she wouldn’t have known where his mole was. But what I couldn’t understand was why it was affecting me like it was. Why did I feel so broken about it to the point where I was crying? Why was I feeling angry over something that doesn’t affect me at all? Was it because he was a teacher and she was his student? Was I disappointed that Yamato would date a student?

Or was it for a different reason?

There was no school the next day, and Yamato seemed upbeat since he woke up that morning.

            “I’m going to eat a lot today!” he smiled.

            “You’re awfully energetic today, Kogami,” I tried my best to sound normal when I had cried myself to sleep last night.

            “Of course!” his smile widened, “today’s game day!”

Today was the day that the bar’s baseball team, the ‘Long Islands’, were playing against a team from a neighboring city. It had been ages since the last time they played a game, so Yamato was really excited.

            “Do you wanna come watch?” he asked as he got close to my face.

            “Can I?” I had actually been hoping he would invite me to go see it. I needed something like this to take my mind off of things.

            “Of course,” he smiled sweetly, “You’re my wife,”

I looked away and got silent.

            “Hey, what’s wrong?” he looked me in the eye, a puzzled look on his face.

I was remembering the phone call again and Yuri’s words. I didn’t get the chance to bring her up after I walked in on him or even after dinner because I was so upset. I wanted to ask him, but I didn’t want to bring it up right before a baseball game. Holding my tongue, I smiled at him.

            “I’ll go if I can. What time does the game start?”

            “At noon,” he seemed relieved, “You can stop by before going shopping,”

            “Alright,” I nodded.

            “I’ll be waiting for you!” he smiled happily.

When it came to baseball, Yamato was like a child. It always seemed to make him smile and bring the best out in him. Though the events from last night still haunted me, I was looking forward to the game. The thought of a picnic crossed my mind and after seeing him off, I decided to make a picnic basket for everyone.