Chapter Twelve

I could feel my face turning pale as she approached me, her face looking stern.

            “I came to see Mr. Kogami, but both of you came out so I hid behind the bushes. Lorien, you said ‘we’re not really married’, right?”

            “No, I-” I tried to say.

            “You can’t deny it, I heard it! Even Mr. Kogami said, ‘if we were real newlyweds’. That means you’re not married, right?”

I felt like I was up against a wall. Out of all the ways for people to find out we weren’t really married, this was certainly not on the list. Noticing that I was at a loss for words, Yuri smirked as she looked down at my hand.

            “You may be wearing a ring, but I know I’m right. There’s no way Mr. Kogami would marry someone like you. That’s a relief; I really believed you were married for a second,”

            “But-”

            “I’m sorry, I need to go to school,” she gave me a nasty little smiled as she began to walk away, “Where Mr. Kogami is waiting for me,”

Then I was left alone, standing there not knowing what to do. If she told the vice-principal, it would put Yamato’s job in jeopardy!

My anxiety stayed with me the entire day, right up to the point where I was preparing dinner. I wondered if Yuri had said anything to Yamato at school, but she liked him so I didn’t think she would because she wouldn’t want him to get mad at her. Then I began to wonder if she was going to do something to me.

Out of nowhere, cutting through the silence, the doorbell rang and I nearly jumped out of my skin. If it had been Yamato, he would have unlocked the door and just walked in, which meant…

Picking up the receiver to the intercom, I looked at the monitor to see who was there.

            “Hello,” I saw Yuri’s face on the screen.

She was still in her uniform, so I figured she had come right from school.

            “Is there anything I can do for you?” I sighed.

            “Can you open the door?” she pouted.

            “Yamato isn’t home yet,”

            “I’m not here for Mr. Kogami; I came to talk to you,”

I continued to glare at the screen. I didn’t want her in the house, I didn’t want her around at all. She was going to ruin and destroy everything, but there was nothing I could really do to stop it, was there?

            “You’re not gonna open the door?” she said sickly sweet, “I’m gonna tell everyone about your lie,”

I sighed again, knowing that I had no choice.

            “Please come in,” I pushed the entry button and watch Yuri disappear from the monitor.

In the back of my mind, I was screaming for Yamato to come home and save me from this hell. What did she want from me? Well, that was a dumb question, I knew what she wanted but I couldn’t really do that at the moment. After a few moments, there was a knock on the door. Walking up to it and looking through the peephole, I saw Yuri.

            “Please come it,” I let her into the apartment.

            “Thanks,” she walked passed me and into the living room where she looked around, looking amused, “Wow, this is Mr. Kogami’s place, huh? I thought he would have good taste. May I sit down?”