Chapter Three

Yamato’s face was so close to mine that it was making my heart race. I couldn’t even remember the last time I had been this close to a man.

            “K-Kogami,”

            “Shhh,”

            “But,”

            “Just stay still,” he whispered in my ear.

He was so close to my face now that we could feel each other’s breath. Despite being in that situation with a man I hardly knew, I was fascinated by Yamato’s face. He had long eyelashes and his face was clear from any blemishes. Feeling my gaze, he looked down at me. His face was inches away from mine when our eyes met.

            “Don’t stare at me like that,” he said quietly.

            “S-sorry,”

            “You’re standing awkwardly. Be more natural,”

            “Natural?”

            “Like this,” he pulled my head towards his shoulder, taking me by surprise, “Don’t act surprised. Wrap your arm around my waist,”

            “What?”

            “Like you love me more than anything else in the world,” he said impatiently.

I had no idea what was going on, but I listened to him and together we continued to walk, embracing each other. It felt odd being in this position after such a long time. It was beginning to bring back memories of the past when we were about to pass someone. Instead of this person just passing by, they called out to us.

            “Mr. Kogami?” the man said, acting a bit surprised.

            “Yes?” Yamato slowly turned his head to look at him, then pretended like he was surprised, “Oh, help vice-principal,”

The man he had called vice-principal was a middle-aged man in a suit. He wore glasses and he frown lines around his eyes and mouth and you could see the on comings of gray hair between the nearly parted black hairs. Examining us, the vice-principal furrowed his brow. The whole reason why Yamato pulled me close to him was because he had seen this man at a distance. To prove my point, he wouldn’t let go of my shoulder. If I had run into my boss on the street and I was like this, I would have broken away.

            “You’re going home this late, vice-principal?”

            “Yes. We had a few errands to run. Anyhow,” he cleared his throat as he stared at me, “it’s inappropriate for a teacher to be seen making out in public,”

            “Making out?”

            “I saw you from afar. You were whispering something to her. I don’t want students or their guardians to see that type of behavior,”

            “I apologize. I just want to always stay by her side,”

            “I understand you just got married…”

            “This is my wife,” Yamato interrupted him.

I looked over at him with wide eyes.

            “This is the vice-principal of our school,” he looked down at me. Taking my hand, he gently pushed me towards the man, but whispered in my ear, “You know what to do,”