Sea Foam

By: Parisluv

Sea Foam
Sun light filtered through the sheer lilac curtains and laid across a young elf with dark brown hair. It was early in the morning and she slept soundlessly in her bed. Suddenly, the door to her room burst open and a women with tan skin, silver eyes, and light brown hair with pink streaks came in.
"Rise and shine," she said as she walked across the room and opened the curtains. "It's a big day, Marina."
"Mom," Marina complained as she sat up. "I don't need to get up for another hour."
"Come on, Marina," her mom said. "Today is the Powers Ceremony! Oh, I'm so excited! I'll see you downstairs in five."
"Ugh," Marina flopped back onto her bed as her mom exited.
She let out a sigh and rolled out of bed. She slipped on a deep red, off shoulder top with a black skirt and black heel boots. She put on some silver bangles and put her hair in a side braid, hiding one of her pointed ears. Her eyes were a shocking mint. She headed downstairs where her mom had prepared a fruit salad for her.
"You know you're changing before the Ceremony tonight, right?" her Mom told her.
"I know," Marina answered. "But that's not until tonight."
"Well, I picked out a dress for you to wear. It's in your closet."
"I saw it."
"What do you think?"
"It's okay, I'll have to see it on."
"Are you nervous about tonight?"
"No," Marina lied.
The truth was that Marina was freaking out inside. At the Powers Ceremony every Elf of the age of 16 is granted a power by the Harmony Crystal. An Elf can guess what their power will be, but they can't know for sure.
"I'm going to go hang out with Ashlee," Marina said.
"Be back in time to get ready," her mom called after her.
Marina raced down the steps from her Willow tree home. She headed straight to the Sparkling Lake where she knew Ashlee would be. Ashlee stood at the edge of the lake, pouring some water on a few flowers. Ashlee had emerald green eyes, black hair, and dark tan skin; she was wearing a light blue sun dress with silver flats.
"Hey Ash," Marina said as she reached her.
"Good morning Marina!" Ashlee said enthusiastically while giving her a hug. "It's a fantastic day, isn't it?"
"Yes, Ashlee, it's fantastic."
"What's got you so worried?" Ashlee asked as the two began skipping rocks across the lake.
"The Powers Ceremony," Marina confessed.
"I'm so excited for that! I wonder what power I'll get!"
"I wonder if I will even get a power."
"Don't be silly Marina, everyone gets a power; it's the Powers Ceremony."
"What if there's some sort of fluke! What if my dad wasn't an Elf so I'm not a full Elf and because of that I don't get any powers; we both know nothing about my dad."
"Everything will be fine, Marina."
"Let's say your right, what power do you think I'll get?"
"I don't know, I don't know what I'll get."
"You'll so get something nature related."
"You think?"
"I'll be shocked if you don't."
"Anyways, back to you. Perhaps something art related? You love painting."
"Our powers don't always reflect things that we like."
"Then why would mine be nature related?"
"Because you are like the essence of nature."
The two girls talked for a little while longer until it was time for them to head to their homes. After getting ready, Marina checked her reflection in her mirror. Her hair was half up-half down and quiet curly, she wore mint green fingerless gloves, and her dress! Her dress was a mermaid style, mint green, strapless, sweetheart neckline, chiffon with lavender and turquoise gems on the bodice. When Marina turned to leave, a box and a note caught her eye. The note said "For your special day" in unfamiliar handwriting. Inside of the box was a necklace with a sand dollar pendant. Marina put the necklace on and it completed her look.
When Marina and her mom arrived at the Central Amphitheater, they parted ways; her mom heading to find a seat and Marina getting in line. Ashlee was already there. Her hair was in a tight bun and she wore a rose gold charm bracelet. Her dress was a princess style, taffeta, forest green dress.
"This is it!" Ashlee said.
"Yeah, Ash," Marina said, "this is it."
"Good evening," the head of events, Carter, said. "Welcome to our annual Powers Ceremony. Tonight, all of our young Elves of the age of 16 will discover their powers. Let the ceremony begin!" Cheering and applause erupted all over. "We start with Arika, Bailey..." As the ceremony proceeded, more and more Elves went up and earned their powers. "Lovegood, Ashlee."
Ashlee walked up to the large glowing crystal. The Harmony Crystal is clear with the occasional rainbow streak, it is roughly ten feet high with a domed top. As Ashlee approached it, a rainbow glow emitted from its edges and a streak of forest green leaves fluttered out and melted into her body; forest green streaks appeared in her hair.
"You hold the power of Trees," Carter announced and Ashlee twirled around with a smile on her face. She walked off the opposite end of the stage. "Nixie, Marina."
Marina approached the Harmony Crystal with her heart racing. Her breathing was slow and shaky, her hands shook uncontrollably. At first nothing happened, and a murmur echoed through the crowd. Then, the crystal gave off a powerful rainbow glow, with colors many people hadn't seen. A stream of fluffy, mint green flitted out and melted into Marina; giving her an empowered feeling and leaving mint green streaks.
"You hold the power of Ocean Waves," Carter announced and Marina breathed a sigh of relief as she walked down the stage.
"Told you there was no need to worry," Ashlee said.
"You were right, as always," Marina agreed.
After the ceremony, Marina's mom came and found her.
"Your father would be so proud!" she said, to Marina's surprise. "Especially since you wore the necklace he left for you."
"What?" Marina gasped.
"Didn't your father sign the note?"
"No, but-what?! Who is my father?"
"He held the power of Sea Foam and was a fearless warrior. When the Shadow Spirits attacked, he went to fight them. He died in the battle, saving dozens of other warriors; you weren't even born yet. He knew he may not return and left that necklace along with the note for you; just for today."
"Why did you never tell me this?"
"I have truly missed him and I wasn't sure how to bring it up; so, I decided to wait until you asked."
"I want to know everything."
"Of course, let's go home."
Sea Foam, Marina thought, Sea Foam...