The Sword of Dawn

By: icyfairy

My sword shown brightly in the pure light of dawn as I closed in upon my enemy.
"Glacuss, O Golden Sword of Fire, it is over." I said. "Surrender!" I swung my sword high above my head and brought it down with all my strength.
"I'm afraid that is not so, young princess," Glacuss said, jumping quickly away from the path of my sword. "My lovely Rose at Dawn. Give up now, little one, or face my wrath."
"Bring it on!" I yelled.
So be it," He smiled. "Prepare to be eliminated!" His sword came down swift and sure, I just barely managed to roll away from the blade that would mean my end.
I got up and aimed for his chest, he blocked it.
"Argh!" I cried, clenching my teeth.
"Better try harder, princess." He smiled again and brought his sword down onto mine.
I screamed in pain, for it felt like my shoulder had been wrenched from my body. But this was no time to cry. I swallowed my tears and ducked, just escaping another deadly blow.
As I ran towards him, I could feel the power increasing in my sword. It shown with a light more intense then the goddesses themselves.
"So your going to blind me, eh princess?" Glacuss joked, but I could hear fear in his voice.
"I call upon the great goddesses in the sky, the Twin Suns of Soltarum, grant me the people to defeat this darkness!" With a mighty cry, I brought my sword upon his. It fell from his hands and landed several yards away. He gasped and tried to fetch it, but the prick of my sword resting on his neck made him stop dead in his tracks. "Glacuss," I panted. "Golden Sword of Fire, you have been defeated."
______________________________________________________________________________
He looked up and smiled. "Well done your highness, well done! You grow more and more skilled every day."
I dropped my sword and squealed happily. "Do you really think so?" I asked, helping him up.
"Really your highness, you will make a fine warrior some day. Soltarum will be lucky to have you for queen."
"Your majesty!" I turned and saw one of the royal guards running towards me.
"Yes?" I asked.
"Princess, your grandmother has sent for you." He said.
I groaned. She probably wanted me to try on some new dress for a party or some other nonsense. "Sorry Glacuss," I said. "I guess we'll have to train later."
Glacuss bowed as I took my leave. "Good luck, your highness!" He cried.
"Thanks!" I called. "Good thing we trained to day. Even trying on dresses can be war!"
_________________________________________________________________________________
"Sister," Said a voice behind me.
"Grandmother has been looking for you." Another added.
I turned and faced my twin sisters, Mi'Sora and De'Sora. They are named after the Twin Suns of Soltarum and look every bit alike. They both had tanned skin, wild red hair, and the same emerald green eyes. They're ten years old. (I'm fifteen)
"I know," I grumbled, pushing my own wild hair from my face. I have blonde hair, unlike my sisters, and hazel green eyes. But my skin was every bit as tanned as their's if not more so. That's what I get for being outside all day. "Do you know what she wants?"
"She wants you to try on your dress," Mi'Sora said.
"For the banquet tonight." De'Sora finished. They have a habit of talking like that.
"A banquet!" I whined. "Well, at least it isn't a ball. But I just bet she'll try to stuff me into a ball gown!"
My sisters giggled.
"So where are you going?" I asked, noticing that they were wearing simple clothes. My grandmother would be appalled if they showed up like this!
"To the courtyard," Said De'Sora.
"For archery practice." Mi'Sora finished.
I sighed. "You're so lucky! You get to practice battle skills while I am being tortured by our grandmother."
They smiled sympathetically then continued down the hall.
I sighed one more time for good measure as I came to my door. "Let the horror begin." I muttered, then pushed open the door.