First Years

Mel's POV

It was finally here. I couldn't believe that I, Melody Rosalyn Mason, was going to go to Hogwarts Academy for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

I was already trying to chose the house that I wanted to be in. Did I want Gryffindor for the brave? Or Hufflepuff for the loyal? Possibly Slytherin for the cunning? Maybe Ravenclaw for the clever?

I honestly couldn't decide! I know I'll be happy in whatever house I get placed into, but I couldn't help but wonder which house would suit me best.

I bounced excitedly in my seat in an empty compartment that I'd managed to snag for myself. Suddenly, the door opened and a girl with long red hair and a boy with black, and not to be mean, but greasy hair stepped in.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but do you think that we could share this compartment with you? All the others have been full so far." the girl with red hair asked politely.

"Sure!" I exclaimed, not wanting to be rude. "I'm Melody Mason, but you can call me Mel."

The girl with the red hair smiled, "I'm Lily Evans and this is my friend Severus Snape."

Severus gave me a polite nod, but he seemed unsure of me. "Nice to meet you both! So, what houses do you guys want to be in?" I asked casually.

"I want to be in Slytherin." Severus said quietly. "Cool!" I exclaimed. "I'm not too sure yet, but I either want to be in Slytherin or Ravenclaw." He looked up, and a genuine smile came onto his face.

"I'm not too sure either." Lily spoke up,"I guess I'll just have to wait and see!"

I grinned. I knew I was going to be getting along quite well with these two.  We were gonna be good friends.

We talked and chatted about different topics that came up. "Please make sure you change into your robes. We're almost to the castle." A Hufflepuff Perfect said politely.

We all quickly picked up our things and made sure thing were all in place. We each change into our robes, and met back in our compartment.

We soon unloaded the train and walked toward the boats. Hagrid, the Gamekeeper of Hogwarts, led us to the boats and guided us into the castle.

It was spectacular. The designs and magic of it all was overwhelming. I had never felt more at home.

An older lady with a stern but happy look made her way to us. "Welcome first years! I'm Professor McGonagall, Head of the Gryffindor House." She greeted,"We will all enter the Great Hall where the Sorting Hat will sort each of you into a house. There are four houses. Gryffindor for the brave, Hufflepuff for the loyal, Ravenclaw for the clever, and Slytherin for the cunning. Once you are placed, you will be able to earn or lose house points for your house. We will announce the winner at the end of the year. Now if you'll follow me, we will head toward the sorting."

Once we entered, you could feel the anxiety all in the atmosphere. Some first years were even shaking.

"Now let the sorting begin!"

"Abington, SARAH"
"HUFFLEPUFF!"

"Adams, WEST"
"RAVENCLAW!"

"Black, SIRIUS"
"GRYFFINDOR!"

Almost everyone gasped at that for some reason.