Dinner with The Potters

Mel's POV

Christmas Dinner. The first time in a long time I was invited to go to one of these.

Even Mrs. Jensen never invited me over because she always flys out to visit her actual grandkids for the holidays.

I knew that if I asked that she wouldn't mind inviting me, but I didn't want to intrude or become too attached.

I may not be high maintenance, but I was a girl. And being the girl I am, I was stressing over what I was going to wear.

Muggle jeans and an old sweater would be fine but it was a Christmas dinner! I wanted to impress my friends and their parents. I wanted to look nice for a change.

I ran upstairs to one girl in the orphanage who didn't hate me and might just help me out.

I knocked softly on the door, hoping not to irritate her. "Come in!" I heard her call.

I popped my head in to see her sitting on the bed painting her nails. "Hey Sarah." I murmured. "Can I ask a favor?"

"Depends kid. What is it?" She questioned. "Uh. I'm going to a friends place for a party and I need something nice to wear. Can you help me find something?"

She sat back as if to think about it for a second. "What's in it for me?"

I sighed slightly. I didn't have any extra cash. I spent all on Christmas shopping. "I dunno. I don't have any cash. What's your price?" I asked.

"I've got things I need to do on New Years Eve and I need someone to cover for me here and make sure I don't get caught." She bargained.

No doing laundry or chores for her. Just covering? Sounded good to me.

"Deal." She gave a nod, showing her satisfaction with the deal. "Alright. So I just find you something to wear?" She asked confused.

"Yeah. Just need a dress that'll look okay. You can go through my clothes if you want." I offered.

"Lead the way." She claimed, nodding for me to show her my clothes.

After digging through the few clothes that I have she let out a sigh and turned towards me. "You don't have anything good."

Ouch. No need to sugar coat it, huh? Alright then. "Well I do have a dress."

"Yeah. An ugly dress."

I frowned at that. Sure, it wasn't the prettiest but it wasn't exactly awful either. It was the first and only dress I've ever owned.

Even when my family was still around, I never bothered wearing dresses or skirts or anything fancy. I guess you could say I was going through my tom-boy phase at that time.

I shrugged my shoulders at her. "It's all I got." She shook her head. "There's no way I'm letting you leave the house like that. Come on. I might have something."

We walked back up to her room and I sat in her chair while she dug through her closet. She pulled out an old box, opened it up, and pulled out a small dress.

It was a beautiful red dress with the top part with the lace-like fabric and the bottom with graceful ruffles. A perfect bow tied around the waist and rested on the side.