Red Eyes

Madeline glanced to each side of the path as she walked along the cold, icy floor of the forest. Her bare feet floating over the path's chilled surface, the cold wind nipping at her soft, pale skin. She was alone in the near darkness, surrounded by masses of looming trees. She looked all around, glancing at each shadow with nervous eyes, wondering where on earth she had ended up. She shivered violently, wrapping her arms about herself, she thought that she was all alone in these isolated woods. Little did she know, a pair of bright crimson eyes followed her every step. Madeline heard a loud snap echo behind her and whipped around with a gasp. Her eyes widened in shock and fear at the pair of bright red eyes watching from the shadows. The shadowed figure behind those eyes was creeping slowly out onto the path and transformed into a massive silver-white wolf, red eyes locked onto hers. The beast was the size of a pony with shimmering fur that ruffled slightly in the light wind. The animal tilted its head in curiosity. Madeline shocked by the sudden appearance of the creature behind her, along with the fact that she was freezing and hadn't eaten in hours, collapsed. The wolf rushed over, hefting its great body under her, catching her before she was able to hit the hard frozen ground and shifted with a flash of light into a human woman with the same silver white hair and crimson eyes. She stood up slowly, lifting Madeline's slight form in her arms and carrying her off into the woods.

            It was still dark when Madeline woke once again, not lying on the snow chilled forest floor as she had expected, but on warm blankets in a bed. The only noise was the quiet whisper of the wind outside the protective walls that shielded her. She sat up and looked about the room, nothing quite standing out to her. There was a wardrobe and small trunk in one corner, a table with a mirror and chair on the opposite wall, and a door just across the room from the foot of the large bed she was sat in. She jumped when the door to the small room opened and a tall woman, clad all in black clothing stepped inside. She had shimmering pale skin that looked almost as white as the fresh snow outside, her long straight hair the color of silver and moonlight. However, what stood out most about this woman were her eyes, dark crimson orbs that bore right into Madeline's sweet violet pools with an intensity that she had never experienced before. There was an air of mystery about this woman's eyes that she couldn't describe, perhaps hiding a dark secret or a great pain. The woman smiled kindly at her and she realized instantly that she had been staring for what probably seemed a long time. She shook her head slightly before looking back up at her. Her smile widened into a grin as she spoke.

           "How are you feeling? You fainted in the forest where I found you. You must have been freezing." Madeline gulped as the woman's words brushed her ears, making her knees weak. Suddenly, she remembered the giant wolf.

          "S-So was that...your dog then?" She asked shakily, really hoping that the animal wouldn't walk through the door that stood sightly ajar behind the woman. She paused for a moment, tilting her head to the side slightly. Her grin shifting slightly, revealing a row of sharp and wolfish teeth that Madeline swore weren't there before.

            "Of course not." She purred. "That was me." Maddie gasped, jumping back and bumping her head on the wall behind her. She reached out a hand to help her but she immediately swatted it away, cringing and causing her to frown with an irritated growl, the sound low and angry.

             "Now, Now. There is no need for that, I won't hurt you." She purred, her tone caramel and seductive as she strode over to the edge of the bed, gently stroking Madeline's exposed skin, her eyes glowing a brighter crimson. Madeline quickly jerked her leg away.

           "D-Don't touch me yo-you monster!" she squeaked in fear. She growled loudly at her, an angry scowl on her face as she roughly grasped her wrist, pulling her closer, her face mere inches from Maddie's.