Uriah

Original chapter title: I Don't Think You Get It

As soon as she comes out of Ghiradelli, I walk over and pull Marlene away from the others. First of all, I'd like to thank my brother, Zeke, and Shauna for the pep talk about Marlene still liking me, and I'm praying that she doesn't behead me and then put my head on a pole outside her bedroom.

"What the hell do you want?" Marlene snaps.

"Marlene, about the texts-"

"Don't." She cuts me off, holding up her hand in the universal gesture for stop. Her voice is colder than Antarctica, if that's even possible. "I know exactly what I saw."

"Just let me explain."

"Fine. Whatever." Her voice is flat, void of emotion. She crosses her arms across her chest and taps her foot against the ground, all badass-attitude-and-irriation. I know that it's just an act, a cover so that I can't see that she's hurt. Good god.

"She texted me first. A while ago. My friend thought it would be funny to text her back. She didn't text me for a while, and she just started texting me again. I've called and texted her and even asked her face-to-face to stop texting me, but she doesn't want to listen." I can easily see why Marlene is so pissed. It could've easily been confused with flirty banter.

"Don't play this game." She snarls. "What kind of idiot do you take me for?"

"Well you are an idiot fi you think that I would seriously cheat on you with some slut that only wants to get in my pants." I shoot back at her. Why the hell would she think that I'm like that? Doesn't she know me at all?

"And how do I know you're not lying?" She steps closer and narrows her eyes at me, her anger fading a little and suspicion creeping into its place.

"How long have you known me?"

Her eyes flick over my face for a minute, figuring out how sincere I am. "Point taken." She says after a moment of silence. then she kisses me, completely catching me off guard. I'm surprised, but after a minute I wrap my arms around her waist.

She pulls away begrudgingly, but she's grinning. "Let's go. I'd rather not have Christina come over here and drag me away by my hair." I laugh and she takes my hand, leading me back to our group of friends. Thank god I've been forgiven.